Easy vegan broccoli cheese soup made with broccoli, onion, coconut milk, cashews, nutritional yeast, and vegetable broth for a comforting and healthy dairy free soup. Only 25 minutes for an easy weeknight meal, appetizer, or side dish. Low carb, paleo, and Whole30.
This post is sponsored in partnership with NOW Foods. All opinions expressed (as always) are my own. I only partner with brands I trust and personally recommend – thank you for your support in helping make Eat the Gains possible!
Vegan broccoli cheese soup! It might sound like an oxymoron, but you can have vegan and cheese together in the same recipe.
I mean it’s 2020 after all 😜
It’s also day 2 of ETGveggies!!
With the start of the new year, I am trying to eat more plants. I eat a ton of veggies, but would like to incorporate some plant based meals into our house.
So we are sharing an easy broccoli cheese soup. And I’m really excited to say I think this soup will check off a lot of your veggie objections. From not liking them, only adding unhealthy things to them to taste good, hard to digest, and not filling, we’re covering it all.
This healthy broccoli cheese soup is made from a thick and creamy “cheese broth” consisting of blended cashews, coconut milk, broth, and nutritional yeast. The nutritional yeast gives it a cheesy flavor without any heavy cream, dairy, or flour. Additionally, the coconut milk and cashews give it lots of healthy fats, filling you up.
Broccoli can be hard to digest for some as it has high fiber content and the same sugars as beans that make people gassy, so cooking it makes it mush easier to digest. And who doesn’t love the broccoli and cheese combo?!
I don’t know about you, but I was never a huge fan of cream based soups growing up. And as I got older and began to change my diet, the more they didn’t agree with my stomach.
However, there are so many options these days to make healthier comfort foods with good for you ingredients. And that is exactly what I am doing with this healthy broccoli cheese soup. It’s a great alternative to your typical cream and dairy filled soup.
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
I love this broccoli cheese soup so much because it’s so easy! You only need 8 ingredients, one pot, and 25 minutes. Makes a quick and easy dinner, an appetizer, or side dish and is low carb, paleo, dairy free, and Whole30 approved.
Here is what you need:
- coconut milk
- vegetable broth
- nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
First start off by adding your oil to a large dutch oven or stock pot. Next add your onions along with some salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes until softened and slightly golden brown. Then add your garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
While the onions cook, make the broth. Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, cashews, and salt and pepper into a Vitamix or high powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Soaked cashews are one of my favorite ways to make thick soups and sauces. I suggest raw cashews and love NOW Foods as they are non-GMO and have a rich and buttery flavor.
Once the onions are softened, add the broccoli and broth to the pot. Mix well to combine. Place the lid on the pot and let simmer for 10 minutes until broccoli is softened.
Finally top it off with some toppings – I love green onions, red pepper flakes, and hot sauce!
Can I freeze Broccoli and Cheese Soup
To freeze, let the broccoli and cheese soup cool completely. Pour into glass jars (I love these weck jars). Leave about an inch of space at the top between the soup and the lid so it has room to expand. Place in freezer and when you are ready to eat, let defrost in the fridge or in the sink for a few hours. Then just heat in small saucepan or the microwave.
It should last in the freezer for 3 months.
What do you serve with Broccoli Soup?
Here are a few options to serve this soup with it:
- salad – soup and salad are the best!
- crusty bread to soak up all the delicious cheesy broth
In addition, if you want more protein, here a few suggestions:
- shredded chicken
- ground turkey or sausage (beef, pork, turkey)
- scoop or two of collagen
- chickpeas or beans – a great option if you want to keep it plant based
More Vegan Soup Recipes
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion (180 grams)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or any broth you like)
- 1 can (13.5 fluid oz) full fat coconut milk (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked*
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 6 cups broccoli florets (375 grams)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- for topping: chopped green onions, red pepper flakes, pepper
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, cashews (make sure to drain them), nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper to a Vitamix or high powered blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, add oil over medium-low heat and let it get hot, about 30 seconds. Add onions and salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally, until softened and golden brown. Add garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Add a splash of broth if needed to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Add broccoli and broth and mix well to combine. Make sure to get the onions off the bottom of the pan so they don't burn. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 10 minutes or until broccoli is cooked to your liking. Top with some toppings and enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I appreciate your support!