An easy Roasted Winter Veggie Power Bowl loaded with seasonal produce, healthy fats, carbs, and fiber & topped with a simple tahini dressing. This bowl is gluten free, vegan, paleo, and also customizable to your liking!
Oh man do I need this recipe right about now. After a long weekend back on the East coast for one of Michael’s cousins wedding, I am craving all the veggies. The wedding was a lot of fun! It was in a small town outside of Pittsburgh. The ceremony was outside so I was nervous about the weather this time of year but it was gorgeous! Sunny and mid 70s during the day which made for a perfect wedding day. I drank a little more than I was planning (like usual).
I think the best part of the reception was the dessert bar. The bride is an amazing baker and is always making cookies and treats for special occasions. Well this was no different. She made over 3000 cookies! 3000 people!! That is insane. There were a bunch of different kinds ranging from coconut, oreo truffles, peanut butter blossoms, macaroons, and pumpkin chocolate chip. Along with the million cookies, they also had a bunch of different flavored cupcakes, cannoli, and a candy apple bar. Let’s just say I had a little too much sugar that night.
After indulgent weekends like that my body just craves healthy food. Greens, smoothies, veggies, fruits, and healthy carbs. These winter veggie bowls hit the spot. We roast veggies all year round in our house, but I especially love them in the winter. Squash, beets, pumpkin, potatoes…they just feel like comfort food when the weather has a little chill in the air. I love adding warm veggies to cold salads to soften up the greens. It adds a nice balance and texture contrast.
This recipe is really a template for making your own power bowl. If you don’t like beets, feel free to add a different veggie. You can also add a grain (like quinoa or brown rice), a protein (chicken or turkey would be great), chickpeas, or some goat cheese. Add the flavors you like and make it your own. Just don’t forget the tahini dressing, it makes the bowl! My favorite brand of tahini is Soom – if you are looking to try it, use this link to save 10%.
Roasted Winter Veggie Power Bowl
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and cubed (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large beet, peeled and cubed (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups packed kale, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small avocado, sliced
additional add ons: quinoa, chickpeas, roasted chicken, goat cheese...
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 1-2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roast the veggies. In a medium bowl mix together parsnips, butternut squash, 1 tablespoon avocado oil, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet making sure veggies are spread out evenly. In the same bowl add beets, 1 teaspoon avocado oil, cumin, and salt and pepper and mix to combine. Place on same baking sheet or another one if more room is needed. Roast for 35-40 minutes until soft.
- While the vegetables roast, place kale in a bowl and massage with 1 teaspoon avocado oil and a pinch of salt until leaves become tender and soft.
- Make the dressing. Mix all ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine. Add a little water if you want a thinner consistency.
- When veggies are done assemble the bowls. Divide kale, veggies, walnuts, cranberries, and avocado between 3-4 bowls. Top with dressing and enjoy!