Sweet, salty, and a little spicy – these Prosciutto Plantain Egg Cups with Spicy Chimichurri bring all the flavors and are great for brunch, breakfast on the go, or meal prep. Whole30 approved, paleo, gluten & dairy free!
Regular prosciutto egg cups just got a makeover. And it looks good on them! Cue the addition of plantains and a spicy chimichurri. If you missed it, I posted 6 Whole30 sauces last week and this spicy chimichurri was one of them. I had a bunch left in my fridge and wanted a fun way to use some of them.
I have tried to make plantain egg cups before, but they didn’t turn out so well. So I thought why not do the prosciutto as the cup and put a fried plantain in there with the egg. And then it needs a sauce, because sauces make me happy. This is legit how my brain works sometimes when I am trying to think of recipes. I’m a huge fan of sweet and salty and when you add a little spice to it too, I become obsessed.
This recipe hits on all those notes:
sweet – plantains
salty – prosciutto
spicy – chimichurri
Pretty much breakfast perfection in my world. They are packed with protein from the eggs and prosciutto, healthy fats from the eggs and chimichurri, and carbs from the plantains to keep you full until lunchtime.
Also, if you haven’t tried fried plantains yet, get on it! They are starchy and taste like bananas but a little more dense and when you fry them up they are perfection. I like to bake plantains too for a tasty side dish.
These egg cups be great for bunch, a quick breakfast during the week, an easy snack, and meal prep. Make a batch on Sunday and they will keep in the fridge for the week. I cooked them so the egg yolk is still a little runny, but you can cook them longer if you want a hard boiled type yolk. If you are making them for meal prep, you will probably reheat them so keep that in mind when thinking about how long to cook them!
If you make this recipe or anything from Eat the Gains, make sure to post it and tag me so I can see all of your creations!!
#eatthegains and @eatthegains on Instagram!
Meal Prep Prosciutto Plantain Egg Cups with Spicy Chimichurri
Prosciutto Plantain Egg Cups
- Make the sauce. Add all the chimichurri sauce ingredients to a Vitamix or high powered blender and blend until combined, but still has a little texture. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 9 cups of a regular sized muffin tin with avocado oil. Mold 1 piece of prosciutto into each cup, making sure there are no holes that the egg can seep through.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, add avocado oil, and let it get hot (about 30 seconds). Once oil is hot, add plantain pieces. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes until slightly soft and golden brown. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove plantain coins from pan and place one in each prosciutto cup. Crack an egg into each cup. Top with 1 teaspoon-1/2 tablespoon spicy chimichurri sauce.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until desired doneness is reached. I like mine with the yolks still slightly runny and cooked for about 16 minutes.
- Top with fresh parsley and enjoy! Store in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for about a week.
This recipe was previously posted and was updated this year with new photography!
This post contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I appreciate your support!