See ya later bread and hello sweet potatoes. This Sweet Potato Egg in a Hole uses spiralized sweet potatoes as a nest to hold your eggs, making breakfast gluten free, paleo, nutritious, and fun!
Who needs bread when you have sweet potatoes?! Seriously though. If you haven’t seen, sweet potato toast is all the rage right now. Thanks to my friend Kelsey, that shit blew up! Her sweet potato toast is genius and I have been making it on the regular now. I especially love a sweet and savory combo for breakfast.
Her idea really got me thinking as to easy replacements of bread and other foods that can be easily swapped for healthier alternatives. I had some extra spiralized sweet potatoes in the fridge just waiting to be used. I was sautéing some up for breakfast one morning and boom the idea just popped into my head. Why not make a rendition of eggs in a hole and use these sweet potatoes instead.
Don’t you just love it when things just work out like that? If you don’t have a spiralizer, you need to get one! They make eating veggies so fun!
I have been obsessed with sweet potatoes for quite some time now. Who needs white potatoes when you can have sweet?! Well the bf thinks otherwise, but that just means more for me. Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, vitamin A, and potassium. They rank lower on the glycemic index than white potatoes, so you don’t get that spike of sugar. Perfect for breakfast. Pair with some other veggies, avocado, and fruit and you have a breakfast packed with protein, carbs, and healthy fats.
These sweet potato egg in a hole also save well. I made two and then saved one for the next morning. Just heat up a sauté pan, add some oil, and throw it in there till it warms through. Makes for a perfect quick breakfast.
Side note – I didn’t even know what eggs in a hole was before college. A friend mentioned it one day and it blew my mind. Pretty genius to fry up the bread and the egg together. I may or may not have made a few on some drunk nights back in the day 😉 At least it wasn’t pizza all the time right??
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup egg whites, divided
- salt and pepper
- Cut the ends off your sweet potato. Place in spiralizer and spiralize using the smallest noodle shape. Trim the noodles so they are not too long.
- Heat a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Once hot add sweet potatoes, garlic powder, and salt and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes until soft. Once done place in a bowl.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and add ½ teaspoon coconut oil. Add half the sweet potato mixture and form into a nest type shape with a hole in the middle, leaving room for the egg. Pour 2 tablespoons egg whites on sweet potatoes. Add egg in the middle and cook for 4-8 minutes, or until cooked to your preference.
- Repeat step 3 for the remaining mixture and egg.*
- Serve with sides of choice. Enjoy!
Do you like sweet or savory breakfasts? Do you use any fun alternatives for bread?
This post may contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!