Pepperoni Pizza Egg Cups take the flavors of pizza and make it into a paleo and Whole30 approved breakfast, great for meal prep or breakfast on the go!
Pizza for breakfast?!? Well not actual pizza, but you get my point. True story, Michael tried to eat pizza for breakfast yesterday morning. Leftover cold pizza. Since Monday was the day after the Super Bowl, we had some leftover that he brought to a friend’s house. He pulled it out as I was making some eggs and I was like uhh no. He tried to change my mind for a second but knew I wasn’t going to give in.
I mean I don’t tell the kid what to eat, but we aren’t in college anymore and we all know cold pizza for breakfast isn’t going to be the best choice. Sunday morning hungover, maybe. But Monday morning, heck no. I may or may not be kidding on the Sunday morning part 😉 He settled for quinoa, fried eggs, and some avocado. He only had to wait a few hours till lunch to eat it anyways.
But, if you want to eat pizza for breakfast then make these healthier pizza egg cups! They taste pretty close to the real deal to me and they don’t even have cheese in them. Michael tried them and said “oh wow, these are good”. That is coming from the guy who could eat pizza pretty much every day. And gluten free pizza does not count for him, so these are pretty dang tasty. I had to control myself from eating too many of them when I was taking pictures.
They are perfect for making in batches and eating throughout the week. Or as a snack to help hold you over till your meal. Each cup is 5g of protein and 5g of fat to help keep you full. Pair a few of them with some veggies or complex carbs and you have a balanced breakfast! Feel free to customize them with the toppings of your choice.
- 1 green pepper, diced (135 grams)
- 8 mushrooms, diced (160 grams)
- ¼ cup pizza sauce + more for topping*
- 12 large pieces of pepperoni*
- 7 large eggs
- dried basil
- red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- avocado oil, for greasing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with avocado oil to prevent sticking.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Spray with avocado oil and let it get hot, about 30 seconds. Add green pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes. Add ¼ cup pizza sauce and mix well. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs together with salt and pepper.
- Place pepperoni in muffin tins, creating a cup to hold the toppings. Add 1 heaping tablespoon of pepper and mushroom mixture in each cup. Repeat until muffin tin is full. Divide whisked eggs evenly among pepperoni cups. Top with a little more pizza sauce (optional) and a pinch of dried basil and red pepper flakes.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until eggs are set and no longer jiggle. Let cool for a few minutes.
How do you feel about cold pizza for breakfast? Is there a time and a place for it?
If you make this recipe or anything from Eat the Gains, make sure to post it and tag me so I can see all of your creations!!
#eatthegains and @eatthegains on Instagram!