This Buffalo Chicken Casserole is a packed with chicken, buffalo sauce, veggies, and eggs, making it the perfect healthy protein packed breakfast that can be made for brunch or meal prep.
It’s so early!! Like really though, before 6am. Who would of thought I would be typing this up instead of sleeping (not me). Although, to be fair, I should be at CrossFit. Since I am going into the office today and we have a work meeting at a BBQ spot for lunch, I wanted to go to CrossFit at 5:30am.
I got up, got all ready and was just about to leave, but then I remembered I needed to sign up for class. The bf was getting up too and comes out of the bedroom saying he thinks his office is on the same schedule as the school districts, meaning a 2 hours delay. I’m like oh that’s awesome, go back to bed! Then as I’m about to sign up for class, I see all 3 of the morning classes are canceled. Boo. I guess it’s pretty cold out for down here…but there is definitely no snow on the ground or any kind of precipitation really. I tried going back to sleep, but it didn’t work so I figured I would just write this up. And I am pretty excited to post my first recipe!
Now here I am, at 6am writing about buffalo chicken, which I don’t really have a problem with haha. I love buffalo chicken. When I was pescaratarian (no meat, only seafood, eggs, and dairy) for about 5 years, it was probably one of things I missed the most…especially in the form of chicken wings. I like my chicken wings really spicy, dipped in blue cheese…which is bound to get all over your face. Growing up my dad and I would usually get some wings when we were out at restaurants. Now that I really think about it, I’m not sure if I really missed the actual wings or just the whole nostalgia of it all.
This recipe mixes the classic flavors of buffalo chicken, with some carrots for a little sweetness, for a protein packed breakfast. It would be super easy to make this ahead of time on a Sunday and then have it all week for a quick breakfast before you have to head out the door. Which I do all the time. Add some avocado on top and fresh fruit on the side and you would be good to go for a perfect balanced breakfast.
You could also make this when you have guests over for brunch and it would be a hit. Serve it up with some bacon or sausage, fruit, hash browns, and obviously mimosas. Make it the night before and then just bake it when the guests arrive the next day…so you can focus on socializing and drinking your mimosas (the most important part). We also eat this for dinner and it tastes great leftover.
By the way, how cool is it that I get to go to a work meeting over lunch at a BBQ place. I mean if you have to be in a meeting, at least I can get some good and free food over it. Now go make this recipe!
Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- 1 pound chicken breast (boneless skinless)*
- 2 large carrots, shredded (215 grams)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon coconut oil, divided
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (plus more for topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 medium tomato, sliced (125 grams)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place chicken on baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Once cooked through, place in a large bowl and shred with two forks.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place a medium-large skillet over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon coconut oil. Add in carrots once hot. Cook for 1 minute and then add chopped green onion, garlic powder, dried dill, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add carrot mixture and chopped fresh parsley to the bowl with the shredded chicken. Mix together.
- In a small microwavable safe bowl add coconut oil and microwave until melted, about 25 seconds.
- Add 1/4 cup hot sauce, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes to melted coconut oil and stir to combine. Add hot sauce mixture to the bowl of chicken and carrots and stir to combine.
- Lightly grease a 9x11 inch pan (or similar size) with coconut oil and evenly distribute the chicken and carrot mixture.
- Mix eggs, egg whites, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add mixture to pan with chicken mixture and mix to make sure it is evenly distributed.
- Drizzle with more hot sauce and place sliced tomatoes on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until it becomes puffy and golden brown around the edges.
- Top with additional chopped parsley if desired.
Have you ever gotten up super early to do something you never thought you would? Are you a fan of chicken wings?