An easy side dish, this Avocado Cauliflower Rice takes riced cauliflower and adds smashed avocado & jalapeño to kick this paleo and Whole30 staple up a notch.
Have you ever tried cauliflower rice? It was all the rage for quite some time and is still pretty popular in the paleo community. Trader Joe’s came out with a prepackaged frozen and fresh one and people lost their minds. It sold out at a lot of locations and took awhile to restock. It was a pretty genius idea since it can save a lot of time and some people can get intimidated by ricing the cauliflower. It is actually super easy though!
I recommend using your food processor. Just attach the shredding attachment and run the cauliflower through that. I feel it makes the best rice consistency and isn’t super messy. If you don’t have a food processor, you need to get one! One of the best investments you can make for healthy living. But if it isn’t in the cards for you now, you can also use a box grater to make the rice.
This recipe was inspired by a recipe we used to make with white rice. I actually really wouldn’t call it a recipe at all. We would literally just take some sliced avocado and smash it into our white rice. It adds a nice and creamy consistency to the rice and gives it a little flavor. I mean you really can’t go wrong with adding avocado to most foods.
While I sometimes eat white rice, I decided to make this with cauliflower rice for all the paleo and Whole30 peeps. If rice is your thing, you can make it with white or brown. Or quinoa! The possibilities are endless! I added some fresh jalapeño since I add some spiciness to pretty much everything. Cilantro and lime also make an appearance, so it’s like mixing your rice with guacamole. This avocado cauliflower rice is great with tacos, grilled chicken, or even with eggs for breakfast.
Just a heads up, if you ever have saved avocados, they brown slightly the longer you keep them. This rice will brown on the parts exposed to the air, but it still tastes the same. Don’t worry if you are just keeping it in your house, but keep that in mind if you make it for a party or get-together.
- 1 large head cauliflower, florets removed*
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (120 grams)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 small-medium avocados (200 grams)
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Take our your food processor and attach the shredding attachment. Run florets through the shredding attachment so cauliflower is riced. You can also add the florets to the bowl of the processor and pulse, or grate florets by hand using a box grater. If you are using store bought cauliflower rice, you can skip this step.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add avocado oil. Once hot, add diced onions and sauté for 5 minutes until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Next add the cauliflower rice. Cover and let cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- While the rice cooks, make the avocado mash. Add avocados to a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in the jalapeño, lime juice, and salt and pepper.
- Add avocado mixture to cauliflower rice and mix well. Stir in cilantro. Serve with more cilantro and jalapeño if desired. Enjoy!
Have you made cauliflower rice before? What are your favorite ways to eat it?
This post contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!