This Tropical Chicken Salad takes the flavors of the tropics and puts it in salad form. Complete with a creamy, dairy-free mango coconut dressing.
One more summer salad before summer is over! Apparently summer is over and everyone is now in fall mode. Boo! I can honestly eat salads all year long. I LOVE a loaded salad. Gimme all the greens and all the veggies. My best friend and I used to eat salads every single day for dinner during the week in college. Huge salads. They somehow got the name bomb ass salad and still to this day some of my friends call them that.
I honestly made this so long ago…like July. But then I got busy and my memory got the best of me and I completely forgot about it. Until now. I can dig mostly all salads, but this one is truly amazing. The marinade for the chicken gives it a nice, but not too strong kick. The orange pepper and macadamia nuts give it a nice crunch, which I think all salads need. There is also a little creaminess from the avocado.
And then there is the dressing. The mango and coconut combo helps cools it down some and pairs so well with the spicy chicken. The dressing is sooo good. I used it for days as a dip for veggies, on meat, and really anything that I could find. Even if you don’t like salads, just make the chicken and the dressing. It is still a great combo!
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- juice of one lime (about ⅛ cup)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pearl onions (about 8/100 grams)
- 1 heaping cup cherry tomatoes, halved (175 grams)
- 7-8 cups chopped romaine lettuce (450 grams)
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced (179 grams)
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped (28 grams)
- 1 cup diced mango (140 grams)
- ½ large avocado, sliced (115 grams)
- ⅔ cup lite coconut milk
- 1 cup diced mango (175 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together and place in ziploc bag and into the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Heat up the grill or grill pan.
- Place the pearl onions on a skewer and grill for 5-8 minutes, flipping occasionally to brown and cook through. Also place chicken onto the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Cook until no pink remains or the chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the chicken cooks, place the salad ingredients into a large bowl, or separate bowls.
- Make the dressing. Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Put in the refrigerator to cool before using. Store the dressing in a closed container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Once chicken is cooked through, let it rest for a couple minutes and then slice and serve with salad ingredients and dressing.
Calories: 20, Fat: 1g, Carbs: 2.8g, Protein: 0g, Sugars: 2.4g
Do you love or hate salads? What are your favorite toppings?