This vegan and paleo Maple Tahini Roasted Cauliflower make for an easy sweet and savory side dish.
I feel like cauliflower gets a bad rep. It is definitely not on a lot of peoples list of favorite veggies and usually forgotten about when people are trying to up their veggie intake. Common nutrition wisdom is to add as many colors to your plate as possible (green, red, blue, orange…) and to stay away from the white stuff (sugar, white bread, refined carbs…). While this is true, where does it leave things like cauliflower?
Cauliflower is definitely one of the exceptions to this rule and here is so facts to prove it!
As a member of the cabbage family, it contains many of the compounds that have given this vegetable family a reputation of a potent cancer fighter. Cauliflower also contains sulforaphane, which also have anti-cancer activity.
It also has antioxidant, antibiotic, and antiviral characteristics and help tonify and regulate the stomach, spleen, and small and large intestine.
Okay enough about the nerdy nutrition stuff, but it sounds like a pretty powerful vegetable in my opinion! And it is one of my favorites! My favorite way to eat it is to roast it. If you haven’t roasted veggies before you must try it! Vegetables take on this caramelization that totally changes their texture and flavor. And those charred bits that form on some of them, so dang good.
I tossed the cauliflower in tahini and added some maple syrup for a little sweetest. I love the sweet and savory combo. And then obviously added some red pepper flakes for a little kick too. My favorite brand of tahini is Soom – if you are looking to try it, use this link to save 10%.
This dish will pair great with some protein like chicken or beef, or would go great in a bowl filled with other veggies and quinoa for the veggie lovers out there. I used a whole head of cauliflower and you would say it serves 4-6, but if you are like me and love roasted veggies, it’s more like 2 haha.
Tahini Maple Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets (1050 grams without stem/9-10 heaping cups)
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat.
- After cauliflower is removed from the stem and cut into florets, place in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, mix together the tahini, sesame oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and salt. Toss the tahini mix with the cauliflower making sure to coat all pieces. You can use your hands if needed.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spread out evenly, making sure they are spread out enough so they don't steam.
- Roast for 20 minutes, toss, and then roast for 10-15 more minutes until golden brown and fork tender.
This was previously posted and updated this year with new photography!
This post may contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!
Leave a Rating & Comment