The ultimate game day snack, appetizer, dinner, or meal prep, these BBQ Chicken Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes will be a crowd pleaser and are paleo, gluten and dairy free, and Whole30 approved!
This post is sponsored in partnership with Whole Foods Market. All opinions expressed (as always) are my own. I only partner with brands I trust and personally recommend – thank you for your support in helping make Eat the Gains possible!
It’s the most wonderful time the year! No not Christmas, but it’s almost time for the Super Bowl!! And now that the Eagles are going to be in it this year, it makes it even better!!
Not going to lie, they played one hell of a game 2 weeks ago, but the Patriots are good. I mean Tom Brady is insane. I’m hoping they continue to play well and can bring home a victory.
But back to the most wonderful time of the year – the Super Bowl! I mean it’s prob not my absolute favorite, but it’s up there. You really can’t go wrong with all the amazing appetizers, dips, snacks, and other goodies, and watching some football. Food first, then football. So this week (and my buffalo brussel sprouts last week) is dedicated to all the Super Bowl food!
And we are starting off strong with these BBQ Chicken Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes. I’m super excited to be partnering this Whole Foods Market to bring you guys this new recipe. As of late, my life has been crazy busy lately. In a good way, but man, busy. I love going to grocery store, but now I need to make sure I am not wasting too much time there. And that’s why I love Whole Foods Market.
It’s an easy one stop and done. I can always count on them having everything I need – they have the broadest selection and quality, which makes shopping so convenient no matter if you are paleo, vegan, gluten free, or just looking to eat more whole foods (get it, ha). They have also been working on lowering their prices. Sweet potatoes are now only .89 cents a pound, which is the cheapest I can find them. With the amount we go through, the savings definitely add up.
And I know I can trust their meat with animal welfare quality standards. Their chickens are never given any antibiotics, added growth hormones, or animal byproducts in their feed. Whole Foods Market is committed to transparency and traceable from ranch or farm which makes finding great sourced meat easy.
I also snagged some Primal Kitchen mayo (my fav when I don’t make it myself) and Tessemae’s BBQ sauce, which is Whole30 approved. Finding BBQ without any added sugar is practically impossible, so I love that Whole Foods Market has it available.
These BBQ chicken twice baked sweet are so easy to make and are only 6 ingredients besides the optional toppings, which you def want to top them with! To save some time I like to bake my sweet potatoes and make shredded chicken a day or so beforehand, or if I am pinched on time, pick up a rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods Market. Then you just have to mix everything up and bake again. They are perfect for a Super Bowl party, an easy weeknight dinner, or even meal prep!
Make sure to check out Whole Food Market’s healthy eating hub for other easy and nutritious recipes to help keep you on your health and wellness goals this year!
If you make this recipe or anything from Eat the Gains, make sure to post it and tag me so I can see all of your creations!!
#eatthegains and @eatthegains on Instagram!
BBQ Chicken Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, cooked* (about 800 grams)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion (45 grams)
- 2 cups shredded chicken (240 grams)*
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce, divided - I used Tessemae's)
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 tablespoon mayo, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: parsley, green onion, avocado, BBQ sauce...
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Rinse sweet potatoes and poke with a fork. Place on baking sheet and bake for about 50 minutes until soft.
- When sweet potatoes have about 5 minutes left, make the chicken mixture. Heat a small sauté pan over medium heat and add avocado oil and let it get hot, about 30 seconds. Add onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- When sweet potatoes are cooked, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out most of the inside flesh, except leaving a thin layer so they can maintain their shape. Add the insides into the bowl with the onions. In the bowl, add shredded chicken, 1/3 cup BBQ sauce, and 1/4 cup mayo. Mix until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Evenly distribute mixture back into sweet potato skins. Turn down oven to 350 degrees and bake for 25 more minutes until hot. While they cook, mix the remaining 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce and 1/2 tablespoon mayo into a small bowl. Evenly distribute over twice baked sweet potatoes once they are done.
- Top with additional toppings if using and enjoy!
This post may contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!