This one pan Sweet Potato & Asparagus Frittata with Artichokes & Goat Cheese packs protein, carbs, and healthy fats. Perfect for brunch, meal prep, or a balanced post-workout meal.
My first attempt at a frittata was a success! Well I actually tested this recipe with just asparagus and sweet potatoes for Michael to have to take to the airport, but it needed something more. He suggested to add artichoke hearts, which was brilliant! Weird though because I don’t think the guy would ever voluntarily eat them, but whatever it worked! Gotta keep this guy around for something 😉 I then decided it needed something creamy. Goat cheese to the rescue. The goat cheese is not necessary, but if you eat cheese I would say 100% to add it. It seriously makes the dish.
Frittatas are an easy way to impress people. They look so pretty and put together, but really you just cook a bunch of things in a pan, add some eggs, and bake. You can also make the veggies ahead of time and then just heat them up in the pan over the stove, add the eggs once the pan is hot, and plop it in the oven. If you are hosting a brunch this lets you have more time for socializing. And obviously more mimosas.
Frittatas also make great for meal prep. Whip one up on Sunday and you have an easy breakfast all week. I tried to make this one as balanced as possible. It has carbs from the sweet potatoes and veggies, protein from the eggs, and healthy fats from the eats and goat cheese. You will also get some vitamins and minerals from sweet potatoes, asparagus, and artichokes. The combo of the sweet potato and eggs make it perfect for a post-workout meal as well.
We can’t get enough of this frittata in our house right now! It is definitely going to be on our weekly rotation!
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed (3 cups/375g)
- 1 bunch asparagus, roughly shopped (3½ cups/325g)
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichokes hearts, drained and quartered
- 1½ tablespoons avocado oil, or oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper, divided
- 10 large eggs
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- optional garnishes: avocado, fresh cilantro, hot sauce...
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil to a large cast iron skillet, or oven safe dish, and heat over medium heat.
- Once pan is hot, add sweet potatoes and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ½ teaspoon avocado oil and add asparagus, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Sauté for 7-10 minutes until asparagus are al dente.
- While the asparagus cooks, whisk the eggs and remaining garlic powder and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add artichoke hearts to cast iron and stir to incorporate. Add egg mixture, making sure it distributes evenly. Sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Let cook for 2-3 minutes until bottom sets. Place in oven and cook for 18-20 minutes until eggs are firm. Make sure not to overcook as the eggs will continue to cook once they are removed from the oven because of the hot pan.
- Cut and serve with avocado, cilantro, and hot sauce if desired.
Have you made a frittata yet? What are your favorite things to put in them?