A veggie packed breakfast full of protein and healthy fats to keep you full for hours! This Whole30 Breakfast salad has all your breakfast favorites like roasted potatoes, bacon, and avocado, all topped on some greens with a poached egg! It makes the perfect healthy Whole30, paleo, and gluten free breakfast!
This post is sponsored in partnership with Josie’s Organics. All opinions expressed (as always) are my own. I only partner with brands I trust and personally recommend – thank you for your support in helping make Eat the Gains possible!
Make sure to check out the video to see how easy it comes together!
Salad for breakfast?! I know what some of you are thinking – why would I would to eat a salad for breakfast. Seems like a horrible idea. Well I’m here to prove you wrong.
If you know me, you know I love a good bomb ass salad (this is a phrase my bestie and I used in college – our guy friends used to make fun of us for it ha). I like my salads full of flavor, toppings, and want to make sure they keep me full for a long time. Sad salads literally make me sad. So when your salad is full of things like roasted sweet potatoes, bacon, avocado, and topped with a poached egg, you pretty much can’t go wrong.
A salad at breakfast is a great way to up your vegetable game too. I’m all for getting in as many veggies as I can in my diet. And when it’s super easy to grab healthy prepackaged veggies at the store, you can’t go wrong. This breakfast salad starts off with organic spring mix from Josie’s Organics. The mix is super versatile and I love that it has a variety of greens in there to pump up the micronutrients.
I also love the fact that it is organic! To be honest, sometimes I’m not the most diligent at washing my veggies, but it’s important to me to not be putting random pesticides in my body. Greens are usually on the dirty dozen list and I’ve been trying to make sure I’m following that list. Grabbing a few of their mixes each week ensures that and makes getting my greens in easy during the week.
Whole30 Breakfast Salad
This breakfast salad is super simple to make. You can prep the ingredients ahead of time, or make it all in one go. The hardest part will probably be the poached eggs, but I promise you they aren’t hard to make at all.
It is also very versatile – if you want white potatoes instead of sweet, go for it. Not a fan of tomatoes, sub beets or cucumbers. Whatever veggies you like, add ’em! The more the merrier!
First we want to roast our potatoes and bacon. Dice up the potatoes, season, and then roast for about 30-35 minutes. When there is about 20 minutes left, that is when we add the bacon. Roasting it in the oven is super easy and very hands off. It gets really crispy too.
How to poach an egg
When there is only a handful of minutes left, we poach the eggs. Here is my no fail method:
- Bring a small pot of water to a simmer/low boil. Add a splash of apple cider vinegar. I’m not sure why, but I read that you should do it and this method works every time.
- Crack your egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Using a spoon, swirl the water around to form a whirlpool. Add egg. The whirlpool will help form the whites.
- Cook for 3 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon.
Then you just have to assemble the salad and enjoy! I garnished with some green onions and lime juice and used the egg yolk for a “salad dressing”. Doctor it up however you like though!
If you want to get really fancy, these Whole30 breakfast salads can even be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Just assemble the salad and then top with the poached egg(s). If you get weird about leftover eggs, wait to make the poached egg until you are ready to eat. It should take about 5 minutes total.
Check out the video to see how easy they come together!
If you make this recipe or anything from Eat the Gains, make sure to post it and tag me so I can see all of your creations!!
#eatthegains and @eatthegains on Instagram!
Whole30 Breakfast Salad with Poached Eggs
- 1 large sweet potato, diced (300 grams)
- 4 pieces bacon (make sure sugar free for Whole30)
- 4 cups packed Josie's Organics spring mix
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (135 grams)
- 1 small avoado, sliced (110 grams)
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: green onion, cilantro, lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Add the diced sweet potatoes, avocado oil, paprika, cumin, and salt and pepper to one. Mix to fully coat. Bake for 30-35 minutes until crispy.
- When there is about 20 minutes left on the potatoes, make the bacon. Place on the other parchment line baking sheet and season with pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crispy.
- When there is about 10 minutes left on the bacon, make the eggs. Fill a medium sized sauce pan with a few inches of water and let it come to a simmer. Crack an egg into a small bowl and set aside. Add a splash of apple cider vinegar to the water once it simmers. Using a spoon, swirl the water to create a whirlpool and slowly drop the egg into the water. Let it cook for 3 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Assemble the salads - add mixed greens, bacon, sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes, avocado, poached egg, and any optional toppings. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I appreciate your support!