Roasted Tomatillo Avocado Salsa – your favorite green dipping sauce at restaurants can now be made at home with wholesome ingredients and in less than 30 minutes!
Well hello there, bout time I get a new recipe up. I swear I didn’t forget about this little space of mine. Life has been super busy lately, like usual though. I still have been having fun in the kitchen, just haven’t been able to get anything down on paper. I should have some more free time now, so I will be dedicating some more time to ETG. It is time to get my creative juices flowing!
This recipe was inspired by a sauce I saw at Central Market. I looked through the ingredients and it sounded easy enough. There was also a bunch things in there that I didn’t need to put into my body (like preservatives, soybean oil, butter…), so I figured why not give it a go myself. And, I don’t need to be paying an arm and a leg for a simple sauce.
This sauce is super easy to make and goes well with just about anything. In the picture I paired it with chips, but honestly I like to dip fresh veggies in it. I have also used it as a salad dressing, on eggs, a dip for chicken or shrimp…seriously anything. It is also Whole30 and paleo friendly! So you can whip up a batch and have it all week for your pleasing. Not to mention it would be great to bring to those last few summer BBQs 😉
- 7 tomatillos (400 grams)
- 6 white pearl onions (65 grams)
- 1-2 jalapeños (24 grams) - more or less depending on spice
- 3 cloves garlic (15 grams)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Juice of half a lime
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup diced avocado (110 grams/1 small)
- ⅛ cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel the skin from the white onions and garlic cloves.
- Toss the tomatillos, pearl onions, jalapeño, and garlic cloves in the olive oil. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast until slightly soft and brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for for 1-2 minutes. Chop off the stem of the jalapeños. Place the roasted ingredients along with the salt and red pepper flakes in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Add avocado and blend again until smooth. Add cilantro and pulse a few times until well incorporated, but still visible.
- Use your imagination and eat with anything your heart desires!
Are you familiar with that delicious green sauce at Mexican restaurants? Have you ever tried making your own salsa?