You know that green salsa at restaurants that is so so good?! This is it! Blender Roasted Tomatillo Avocado Salsa – packed with flavor, super easy to make, and ready to go in less than 30 minutes! It’s made with wholesome ingredients and is paleo, vegan, gluten-free, and Whole30 approved!
Give me all the sauce!! Y’all know I am a huge fan of sauces. Doesn’t matter what I am eating, it will usually have some kind of sauce or dip that goes with it. It just makes food more fun and flavorful. And if you looking to add a variety to your meals, sauce is the way to go. Meals can be completely changed with the addition of a simple sauce.
This tomatillo avocado salsa was inspired by a sauce I saw at Central Market. It also tastes like the green salsa/sauce (salsa verde) that you get at Mexican restaurants! I looked through the ingredients and it sounded easy enough to make myself.
There was also a few ingredients in there that I didn’t feel needed to be in there (like preservatives, soybean oil, butter…). I’m down for butter every so often, but would rather fry my eggs in it than have it in a salsa. Also, salsas and dips at the grocery store from those cold bars are usually pretty expensive. I don’t need to be paying an arm and a leg for a simple salsa.
Blender Roasted Tomatillo Avocado Salsa
I think some people get intimated when they think of making homemade salsa, but it’s really quite easy. For this recipe, I roasted the tomatillos, peppers, onions, and garlic first. When tomatillos are roasted, they are less bitter and become more sweet tasting, and it helps bring the flavors out of the peppers, onions, and garlic.
Next all you have to do is wait for them to cook and add it to a Vitamix or blender to blend until smooth. Then you add the avocado and blend to incorporate that, and then the cilantro. And voila, blender roasted tomatillo avocado salsa in about 30 minutes, which about 25 minutes of that time you aren’t doing anything but waiting for the veggies to roast.
As you can see, this salsa is super easy to make and goes well with just about anything. I paired it with chips and fresh veggies, but the sky is the limit. I have also used it as a salad dressing, on eggs, a dip for chicken or shrimp…seriously anything. Stay tuned for Thursday for a super simple summer meal with it!
It is also paleo, vegan, and Whole30 approved! So you can whip up a batch and have it all week for your pleasing. Meal prep for the win!
If you make this recipe or anything from Eat the Gains, make sure to post it and tag me so I can see all of your creations!!
#eatthegains and @eatthegains on Instagram!
Blender Roasted Tomatillo Avocado Salsa
- 7 tomatillos, leaves removed (450 grams)
- 6 pearl onions, skin removed (110 grams)
- 2 jalapeños
- 3 cloves garlic, skin removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 medium avocado, seed and skin removed (about 135 grams)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- oil for coating
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Either toss the tomatillos, pearl onions, jalapeño, and garlic cloves in a little oil or spray with oil from a misto. Roast until slightly soft and brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for for a minute. Chop off the stem of the jalapeños (remove seeds if you don't want it spicy). Place the roasted ingredients along with lime juice, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a Vitamix, blender, or food processor and process until smooth. Add avocado and blend again until smooth. Add cilantro and pulse a few times until well incorporated, but still visible.
- Store in the fridge for 1-2 weeks in a well sealed glass jar. Enjoy!
This recipe was previously posted and was updated this year with new photography!
This post may contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!
Leave a Rating & Comment