Whiskey Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Bacon makes the perfect holiday side dish. Sweet potatoes are roasted and then tossed with a sweet and spicy whiskey glaze, bacon, and green onions for a flavor packed side dish everyone will love! Gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
This post is sponsored in partnership with TX Whiskey. All opinions expressed (as always) are my own. I only partner with brands I trust and personally recommend – thank you for your support in helping make Eat the Gains possible!
Check out the video to see how easy they come together!
Side dishes are my favorite part of holiday meals. Why have one main dish when you can have five sides?! If you are like me and want all the side dishes, these whiskey glazed sweet potatoes with bacon are for you!
While I make sauces all the time, I have yet to make a glaze. I don’t know what was holding me back, but they are really simple to throw together. And this sweet and savory whiskey glaze is perfecting for coating sweet potatoes and bacon.
Michael is a huge fan of whiskey and it’s slowly becoming my new favorite drink. I’ve been a tequila kind of girl for the longest time, but I love the slight spiciness of whiskey and find it nice to sit back and casually sip on it.
While some whiskeys can burn, that is not the case for TX Whiskey. It is super smooth with a light buttery and caramel taste and doesn’t burn afterward. The phenomenal taste makes it great for cooking as well!
Whiskey glazed sweet potatoes with bacon
Golden brown roasted sweet potatoes, bacon, and a whiskey glaze that is to die for! These whiskey glazed sweet potatoes are the perfect addition to your holiday meal. They are sweet and salty and go great with any main course you are serving. Most of the cooking time is the potatoes roasting too!
Here is what you need:
- bacon – I love ButcherBox!
- sweet potatoes
- TX Whiskey
- coconut aminos
- lemon juice
- ground ginger
- green onions
- salt and pepper
First, start off by prepping your bacon and sweet potatoes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and roast the cubed sweet potatoes for 50-55 minutes until soft and golden brown. While the sweet potatoes roast, bake the bacon at the same time. It should take about 12-15 minutes.
Then, when there are about 20 minutes left on the sweet potatoes, make the glaze (more on that below). Reduce for 15-17 minutes until a nappe consistency is achieved. Let cool.
Add sweet potatoes to a large bowl and pour over the whiskey glaze. Mix well to combine. Roughly chop the bacon and add to the bowl along with half of the chopped green onions. Give it another good stir and then top with remaining green onions.
How to make a whiskey glaze
Making a whiskey glaze is really simple, it just involves a little patience. You need to give it enough time to reduce down and become thick and sticky.
First, add all the ingredients to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and let simmer for 15-17 minutes. Make sure to stir often and watch so it doesn’t boil. After about 15-17 minutes, the sauce should be reduced by 2/3 and thickened.
Remove from the heat and let cool for 2-3 minutes. Once cooled, it should coat the back of a spoon and when you run a spatula through it, it will leave a clean line (nappe consistency). See the pictures below.
Honestly, this glaze is so good, I was dipping random things into and eating them while testing it. It’s absolutely perfect for this sweet potato recipe, but I encourage you to try it on other things too – burgers, chicken, fish, steaks, and even veggies!
What to serve with whiskey glazed sweet potatoes
These whiskey glazed sweet potatoes make a great holiday side dish for whatever you are serving. Or you can whip them up for a holiday party or Sunday night family dinner. Here are some ideas to serve with them:
- alongside your main dish – they will go great with turkey, ham, salmon, a roast, or even steak!
- air fryer pork chops
- smoked brisket with dry rub
- alongside some eggs for breakfast if you have leftovers – no harm in some whiskey for breakfast right?!
More holiday side dishes
Whiskey Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place cubed sweet potatoes on 1-2 baking sheets. Pour over oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine and spread out evenly on the baking sheet. You may need to use two depending on how large they are. Roast for 50-55 minutes until cooked through and slightly browned on some sides.
- Cook the bacon at the same time. Place bacon on remaining baking sheet and sprinkle with pepper. Roast for 12-15 minutes until browned and crispy. Remove and set on a paper towel lined plate and let cool. Once cooled, roughly chop.
- When there is about 20 minutes left on the potatoes, make the whiskey glaze. Add whiskey, coconut aminos, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger, and salt and pepper to a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 15-17 minutes, stirring often. After about 15-17 minutes, sauce should be reduced by 2/3 and thickened. Let cool for 2-3 minutes. It should coat the back of a spoon and when you run a spatula through it, it will leave a clean line (nappe consistency). See photos above for reference.
- Add sweet potatoes to a large bowl and pour over the whiskey glaze. Mix well to combine. Add bacon to the bowl along with half of the chopped green onions. Mix well to combine. I like to set some bacon aside for topping as well. Add to a large serving bowl and top with remaining chopped green onions and bacon (if any) and enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I appreciate your support!