A healthy and easy way to make pizza, Sweet Potato Pizza uses only 3 ingredients and swap out pizza crust for sweet potato rounds. They make a fun appetizer or snack, party food, or dinner option that the whole family will love. Naturally gluten-free and grain-free!
Last updated on January 24, 2020.
Check out the video to see how easy they come together!
Sweet Potato Pizza!! Does anyone else have the dilemma that they live with someone that could eat pizza every day? That is my husband. Doesn’t matter the time of day (like when he eats cold pizza for breakfast) or if we just had it a few days ago.
The guy is always down for pizza.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love me some pizza. I mean what’s not to love about chewy bread, flavorful sauce, and melty cheese? But I’m good for it every few weeks or so. I love it on occasion, but it has to be really good pizza (we love Little Deli), as I can only eat so much bread and cheese without feeling bloated and sluggish.
That is where this recipe for sweet potato pizzas comes from. Instead of your typical refined carbohydrate filled crust, we are using sweet potato pizza crust! It’s also the last day of ETGveggies, and I figured these pizzas are the best way to end the week!
It’s such a fun and easy way to sneak some veggies into your diet and I promise no one will complain about them being topped with sauce and cheese. Michael ate these up, so they are definitely guy approved! I’ve also served them to my whole family and I’m sure kids would love them too!
I mean who doesn’t like eating pizza?!
Sweet Potato Pizza
Sweet potato pizza makes an easy and healthy alternative to your typical pizza. They use sweet potato rounds as the crust and make a fun appetizer, snack or party food, or game day eats! Or the perfect fill for your weekly family pizza night!
Here is what you need:
- sweet potatoes
- pizza sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- optional toppings like basil and red pepper flakes
First, start off by slicing your sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch thick rounds. The key is to find the perfect sized sweet potatoes. You want them to be long and somewhat skinny, about 2 inches or so in diameter. That way when you slice them, you have enough room for the toppings, but they are still in bite-size pieces.
Then add you sliced sweet potatoes to a large bowl and toss with avocado oil and salt and pepper to fully coat. Place a parchment paper-lined baking sheets and roast for 35-40 minutes, flipping after 25 minutes or so.
Next comes the fun part, adding your toppings. Using a teaspoon as a scoop, spread the pizza sauce over the top of the rounds. Then sprinkle with a little cheese. Finally, pop them back in the oven for another 3-5 minutes until the cheesy is nice and melty.
It’s really that simple! I like to finish mine off with some fresh basil and red peppers flake, but that is it!
Additions & Substitutions for Sweet Potato Pizza
This mini sweet potato pizza rounds recipe is really straight forward and simple, but you could totally make it your own and change it up. Here are a few suggestions I have:
- potato – if you don’t like sweet potatoes, you can use white potatoes instead. Whit sweet potatoes would also be delicious!
- cheese – feel free to use a vegan or dairy-free cheese if you can’t tolerate dairy. You could also change up the cheese to change the flavor (cheddar, pepper jack, provolone….)
- sauce – change out your typical pizza sauce for a white sauce if you like that
Additions to add to sweet potato pizzas:
- protein – add some cooked protein when you add the sauce and cheese (bacon, shredded chicken, sausage…)
- veggies – you can totally add some cooked veggies to the toppings as well. Just make sure they are diced into bite-size pieces
More Healthy Vegetable Recipes
Healthy Broccoli Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
Make sure to check out the video to see how easy this recipe comes together!
Sweet Potato Pizza
- 3-4 medium-large round sweet potatoes (about 2.5 pounds), sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds (look for one with about a 2-inch diameter)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 3/4 cups grated mozzarella cheese (about 7 ounces)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional: red pepper flakes, fresh chopped basil...
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potato slices with avocado oil and salt and pepper. Spread them out evenly on the baking sheets, with about 1 inch between slices. Bake for 25 minutes, flip, and then bake for 10-15 for minutes until cooked through and slightly golden brown.
- Using a teaspoon as a spoon, top each slice with about a teaspoon to 1/2 tablespoon of pizza sauce (depending on how big the slices are) and a sprinkle of cheese. Bake for another 3-5 minutes until melted. Top with fresh basil and red pepper flakes and enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links and I may make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I appreciate your support!s
Leave a Rating & Comment