These Tahini Whipped Sweet Potatoes are an easy and healthy crowd-pleaser for the holidays. Just a few ingredients make them vegan, paleo, dairy free, and Whole30 approved!
We are back with some more Thanksgiving and holiday inspired recipes. Bring on all the carbs!!
To me, Thanksgiving isn’t complete without potatoes. My mom makes the best mashed potatoes (called snowy whites in our family). They are made with white potatoes, butter, sour cream, and milk. While they definitely aren’t the healthiest, they sure are worth it! Since I started being more conscience of my foods, we started making sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving a few years back.
I was never a fan of those ones with marshmallows on top. I never really liked marshmallows (except on s’mores, duh) and them being on sweet potatoes kind of grossed me out. I was probably eating all the snowy whites anyways. But we slowly started to add some sweet potatoes to our Thanksgiving dinner. They were usually roasted somehow. One year as stacks, another with some spices, and another as a casserole.
Sweet potatoes are now one of my favorite foods. I probably eat them almost every day in one way or another, so they are for sure making an appearance on our table at the holidays. These whipped sweet potatoes are so easy and delicious I think it is going to be on my weekly food prep rotation as well.
Adding tahini adds a savory factor to them to balance out the sweetness. Then the cinnamon brings it all together. You need a hand mixer or regular stand mixer to whip the sweet potatoes. That helps keep them light and fluffy. This is the hand mixer I have and I recommend it! It works great and is easy on the wallet. If you don’t have a mixer you can whip by hand, you just might need some liquid. It will be a good workout though!
- 4 medium-large sweet potatoes (about 1350 grams)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- coconut oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse sweet potatoes and poke holes in them with either a fork or a knife. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until soft to the touch.
- When there is 20 minutes left on the sweet potatoes, rub peeled cloves of garlic with coconut oil and place on baking sheet in the oven. Let roast the remaining time.
- Once sweet potatoes are done, remove from oven. Let cool a minute and remove skin.
- Place peeled sweet potatoes, roasted garlic, tahini, cinnamon, and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Whip with a hand mixer or on a stand mixer until evenly combined, about 2-3 minutes. Try not to over mix.
- Top with more cinnamon and enjoy!
What are some of your must have holiday sides?