An easy weeknight meal, these Turkey Kale Spaghetti Squash Boats take about 35 minutes and are a delicious, healthy, and gluten free dinner packed with veggies and protein.
Hello! Long time no talk! Actually, it’s just been a week, but I feel like it’s been forever! I hope everyone had a fun weekend. We celebrate 3 months of marriage and Eat the Gains 4th birthday (crazy it’s been that long)!! It was filled with lots of delicious food (we tried out Intero and it was so so good!), some sour beers, and lots of time at the park with Cashew.
After a fun weekend, I was ready to get back on track this week so why not share a super easy and balanced weeknight meal – turkey kale spaghetti squash boats!
It’s been a long time since I’ve had spaghetti squash and I don’t know why. The funny thing is, we’ve had 2 of them sitting in our pantry for like 3 months. Want to know the best thing about spaghetti squash? It lasts FOREVER!
Seriously, you can keep it for months in a cool place. So the other night when the pickings were slim, I decided to use one of those spaghetti squash with ground turkey and a few other veggies we had on hand. It made a delicious and easy dinner and I knew I had to share with y’all!
How to Make Turkey Kale Spaghetti Squash Boats
These turkey stuffed spaghetti squash boats are super easy to make and really only take 10 minutes! The rest of the time is the spaghetti squash roasting in the oven, which if you keep reading, there is a slightly faster way to cook them besides the oven. Here is what you need:
- spaghetti squash
- ground turkey
- goat cheese
- dried oregano
- avocado oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
To start, you need to make the spaghetti squash. You can either do this in the oven or in the Instant Pot (see below). When the spaghetti squash is almost done, you make the turkey mixture.
First sauté the onion and garlic until its translucent. Then you add the turkey and cook that a few more minutes. Add the kale, mushrooms, and spices and sauté until turkey is browned and cooked through. Stir in the goat cheese, parsley, and lemon juice and then top the mixture on top the the spaghetti squash boats!
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Instant Pot
If you are looking to save some time, or don’t want to turn on your oven, you can totally roast spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot! By the time the Instant Pot heats up and you release the pressure, you aren’t saving a bunch of time, but it might be easier for some. Here is how you do it:
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scrap out the seeds
- Place the steamer trivet in the bottom of your Instant Pot and add about a cup of water. Place the spaghetti squash on top of the trivet and close the lid. Make sure the vent is set to sealed.
- Set Instant Pot to manual for 7 minutes. When cooking is done, manually release pressure. Remove the lid and make sure it is cooked. If there is excess water in the boat, you can drain it off.
With this method you save about 15 minutes or so!
How to Meal Prep Turkey Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
This recipe only serves 2, but you could easily double it to feed a family of 4 or make it for meal prep. Just double all the ingredients and cook it per the directions. To store it for meal prep, scoop the spaghetti squash out of the boat and top it with the turkey mixture.
Store in an airtight container (these are my favorite meal prep containers) in the fridge. You can either reheat it in the microwave or in a pan over the stove.
These turkey kale spaghetti squash boats make a great balanced meal. They are packed with protein thanks to the turkey and goat cheese and loaded with veggies and fiber. If you don’t eat dairy, the goat cheese can be optional. It does add some flavor, a nice creaminess, and some healthy fats to keep you full longer. You do you though!
More Healthy Spaghetti Squash Recipes
Turkey Kale Spaghetti Squash Boats
- 1 small spaghetti squash, cut in half and deseeded (about 1,000 grams)
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (90 grams)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound ground turkey (I used 93/7)
- 3 cups packed kale, chopped (90 grams)
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced (100 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3.5 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 cup packed parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: red pepper flakes, chopped parsley, lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle the flesh of the spaghetti squash with a little oil and salt and pepper. Place flesh side down on baking sheet and roast for 30-35 minutes until skin gives a little when touched.
- When there is 10 minutes left on the squash, make the turkey. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and let it get hot, about 30 seconds. Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add ground turkey and break it up with the back of a large spoon. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, kale, oregano, and salt and pepper. Cook until kale is wilted and turkey is browned and no pink remains, about 3 more minutes. Stir in goat cheese, parsley. and lemon juice and remove from heat.
- When spaghetti squash is done, remove from oven and thread flesh with a fork. Be careful not to break the skin of the squash. Add turkey mixture to spaghetti squash boats, distributing evenly. Top with chopped parsley and optional toppings. Enjoy!
This recipe was previously posted and was updated this year with new photography!
This post may contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!