An easy and healthy fall meal, this Kale & Beef Stuffed Butternut Squash with Cinnamon Tahini Sauce is packed with protein, carbs, and healthy fats and is paleo, gluten free, and Whole30 approved!
Does this recipe not scream fall or what?!
This is my first time stuffing a butternut squash and I don’t know why it took me so long. I stuff sweet potatoes all the time, so why not branch out a little and use butternut squash? Genius! It’s the little things in life ya know.
Even more exciting than my first stuffed butternut squash is the amazing sale that Whole Foods Market is having on ground beef. Starting tomorrow, Wednesday October 25th through Tuesday, October 31st, their animal welfare rated 85% lean ground beef is on sale for $3.99/pound! This is a nationwide sale so make sure you get in early and stock up while supplies last because no rain checks will be be given!
If you follow me on Instagram and watch my stories, you know we eat ground beef pretty regularly in our house – it packs protein, fats, and I can cook it up in less than 10 minutes for a quick and easy dinner. But since I used to be a vegetarian, I’m pretty particular about the that beef comes into our house.
Shopping at Whole Foods Market, I don’t have to worry – they have animal welfare quality standards that covers every meat in their meat department. Animals are never given any antibiotics, no added growth hormones, no added preservatives, have required inspections for animal welfares, and Whole Foods Market is committed to transparency and traceable from ranch or farm. They make finding great sourced meat easy for you.
This stuffed squash might look fancy, but it’s super easy to make and only a handful of ingredients. The legit hardest part is cutting the butternut squash in half. While that roasts, you sauté the beef and kale and make the sauce. I’m all about the sweet and savory and the cinnamon tahini sauce pairs perfectly with the butternut squash and beef. Then just cover the squash with all the goodness and dinner is served! My favorite brand of tahini is Soom – if you are looking to try it, use this link to save 10%.
Kale & Beef Stuffed Butternut Squash with Cinnamon Tahini Sauce
- 2 small butternut squashes, cut in half and deseeded (1200-1300 grams each, raw)
- 1 pound ground beef (I used 85% lean)
- 4 cups packed kale, chopped (140 grams)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (50 grams)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- avocado oil, for greasing
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Drizzle some avocado oil, salt, and pepper on flesh of butternut squash. Place cut side down and roast for 40-45 minutes until soft.
- Make the sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk together. Add more water if needed. Set aside.
- When there is 10 minutes left on the squash, make the beef. Heat a large well seasoned cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot (about 1-2 minutes), add onions. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add ground beef and break it up with the back of a large spoon. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale and cook for another 2-3 minutes until wilted and beef is cooked through and no pink remains. Add spices and lemon juice and stir through.
- Remove squash from oven and let cool a minute. Evenly distribute ground beef mixture over squashes and top with tahini sauce.
This post is sponsored in partnership with Whole Foods Market. All opinions expressed (as always) are my own. I only partner with brands I trust and personally recommend – thank you for your support in helping make Eat the Gains possible!
This post may contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!