An easy Super Bowl snack of roasted Brussels sprouts, bacon, & blue cheese that won’t derail you from your nutrition and fitness goals.
Hi there. Happy February! Can you believe January is over already? The last day of January was 80 degrees here in Austin, so I am hoping it continues into February. Besides Valentine’s Day, February is known for the Super Bowl! While I really enjoy football, the main reason I love the Super Bowl is for all the good eats!
The only thing that would make the Super Bowl better is if it was on a Saturday or work was closed on Monday. Drinking too much on Sunday and then going to work on Monday is not fun. Trust me, I have been there quite a few times.
Since Super Bowl parties are focused so much on food, I wanted to create something people could munch on that wouldn’t create a huge undoing in their eating and fitness goals. That’s where the Brussels sprouts come in. These little cabbages contain more cancer-fighting nutrients than any other vegetable family. They also supply a good amount of folate (folic acid), potassium, vitamin K, and beta-carotene.
Roasting Brussels sprouts is the way to go. It brings out a sweet caramelization. You can now forget that days of your mom steaming Brussels sprouts and that horrible stench that lingered throughout the house. I added bacon because Brussels and bacon go together like peanut butter and jelly. I am usually not a huge bacon fan (gasp), but this combo is great. What also goes well with bacon is blue cheese. So this combo is quite addicting. Sweet and salty with a little bite from the blue cheese. If you don’t like blue cheese then you could easily substitute goat cheese.
I made these bite size so everyone can grab a few, pop them in their mouth, and continue watching the game without making a complete mess. Easy assembly and clean up make for the best kinds of food. Later this week I will be posting a roundup of some of my favorite Super Bowl eats so make sure you come back and check it out!
- ½ pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 pieces of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¼ cup of blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss the halved Brussels sprouts with the melted coconut oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 10-12 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and make sure all the brussels are facing halved side up (the flat part). Take about ¼ - ½ teaspoon of blue cheese and top each brussels sprout.
- Then top with a piece of the bacon and spear with a toothpick.
- Put them back in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until bacon is crispy.
- Let cool for a couple of minutes and serve!
Do you like the watching the Super Bowl or are you more about the food and halftime show?