These paleo Baked Spicy Java Wings combine the perfect balance of sweet & spicy with a little kick from cold brew coffee. Made from good for you ingredients, they are paleo, gluten free, & dairy free.
I entered these Baked Spicy Java Wings in the Kohana Coffee recipe contest. You can vote me them here!
Chicken wings are maybe one of my favorite foods that I don’t eat that often. I’m pretty particular about my wings…I want them to be crispy, not overly fried, and the key component, the sauce. It is truly all about the sauce. I like a classic buffalo sauce with some spice to it. No dry rub or lemon pepper whatever. Give me the messy hands and all the heat.
My family has a beach house in Lewes, Delaware and growing up we would go there every weekend. It was only a 2.5 drive from our house so it was the perfect getaway. If you have ever been to the beaches in Delaware, I’m sure you have seen Grotto Pizza. It is pretty famous in that area. Well this is my mom’s absolute favorite pizza. No lie I have seen her eat 4 large pieces before and she comes in at 5’2″ and a whooping 102 pounds.
So every weekend we would order pizza from there. I do like pizza, but man that got old pretty fast. Lucky for me, Grotto has some pretty great wings. Instead of pizza every weekend I would have my parents order me wings and french fries. Talk about a pretty solid teenager diet haha.
Chicken wings aren’t really that bad for you, it is how they are prepared and the sauce that the unhealthiness can come in. They are usually deep fried and then sauce can contain some added preservatives or thickeners, possibly tons of butter, and who knows what else. I wanted to make a healthy spin on them that we can enjoy anytime.
These wings are baked at a high temp to get them crispy without any added flour. The sauce is made on the stovetop while the wings cook and simmers until it thickens up. You then just toss the wings with the sauce and they are ready to eat! Serve them with some celery and carrots and you have yourself a party!
This recipe is part of the Kohana Coffee recipe contest. If you could take a minute and vote for these Baked Spicy Java Wings it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for supporting Eat the Gains!
If you make this recipe or anything from Eat the Gains, make sure to post it and tag me so I can see all of your creations!!
#eatthegains and @eatthegains on Instagram!
Baked Spicy Java Wings
- 1.5 pounds chicken wings
- 1.5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoon cold brew coffee - I used Kohana
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional garnish: sliced green onion, celery sticks, carrot sticks
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a wire rack on top of it. Pat dry the chicken wings, place on wire rack, and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven on the top rack and bake for 50 minutes, or until crispy.
- While the wings are baking, make the sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, add coconut oil and let melt. Reduce heat to medium-low and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat, and let simmer making sure to stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn. Once the sauce has reduced and thickened (should coat the back of a spoon), remove from heat.
- Once wings are done, add to a large bowl. Cover with sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sliced green onions and serve with carrots and celery.
Have you ever made homemade wings?
Leave a Rating & Comment