Healthy Air Fryer Boneless Buffalo Wings – a gluten-free, easy, and absolutely delicious way to enjoy chicken strips at home without actually frying and all the fat.
Check out the video to see how easy they come together!
This recipe first appeared on Instagram in partnership with Philips Kitchen.
AIR FRYER BONELESS BUFFALO WINGS!!! Can you tell I’m excited!?!?!
Seriously though, this may be one of my favorite recipes to date. If it’s not mine, I’m pretty sure it’s Michaels. He is obsessed. My love for buffalo anything runs deep – buffalo chicken tenders, buffalo Brussel sprouts, twice baked sweet potatoes, chicken salad – the list can go on.
Chicken wings were one of my favorite things growing up and I’m so excited to share this easy and healthy way to make them at home with you guys!
This is my second air fryer recipe this month. I talked about it before, but I am truly loving my air fryer. I mean if I can make boneless buffalo wings at home, how can you not love the thing.
It makes “frying” foods so easy and you don’t have to use all the oil you normally would. It also gives you the perfect crispiness that sometimes you can’t achieve in the oven, and it’s a lot faster!
These air fryer boneless buffalo wings are lightly breaded in a homemade gluten free flour. Then baked in the air fryer for a crispy on the outside, juicy in the middle boneless buffalo wing. And finally tossed with an easy homemade buffalo sauce.
The outcome is the best appetizer, party food, and snack. Perfect for the Super Bowl coming up next week if you ask me!
The ingredients also make them naturally gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and Whole30 approved. Winning!
How to make Air Fryer Boneless Buffalo Wings
You might think a recipe like this is hard, but I’m here to tell you it’s super easy. You know those restaurant style buffalo wings you just love, well you can totally make them at home in the air fryer . The best part is, you only need a handful of ingredients. Here is what you need:
- chicken breast
- almond flour
- tapioca flour
- chili powder
- cayenne pepper
- garlic powder
- hot sauce
- lemon juice
- oil (optional)
You start out by making the flour mixture – mix together the almond flour, tapioca, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Next you whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl.
Then you start breading the chicken – take a piece and dip it in the egg wash, followed by the flour mixture, and then place it on a plate. Repeat with all the chicken.
Place the chicken in a single layer in your air fryer, giving a little room between each one for even air flow. I sprayed them with a little avocado oil to get them crispy and brown on the outside, but you don’t need to.
Set your air fryer on manual at 375 for 15 minutes. Pause around the midway point and carefully move the chicken around to make sure they are cooking evenly.
You will probably have to cook your chicken in two batches depending on how big your air fryer is.
While the chicken is in the air fryer, you make the buffalo sauce. Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and cook until combined, about 2-3 minutes. Once the all chicken is done, all you need to do is toss it in the buffalo sauce.
Make sure you are careful though and the breading doesn’t come off.
That is it though! About 5 minutes of prep and 15-30 minutes of cook time (depending on how many batches), and most of that time is hands off. They are so easy to make!
What can I substitute for almond flour?
I haven’t tried another flour mixture, but I think substituting another nut flour (cashew would probably be best), would be the safest. I wouldn’t suggest coconut flour as the consistency is different and a lot dryer.
If you have a store bought gluten free flour mix, I am pretty sure that work instead of the almond and tapioca, but I haven’t tried it so I’m not positive.
Can I use store bought buffalo sauce?
Absolutely! I honestly love this homemade version, but you could use a store bought variety if you don’t want to make your own. Some of my favorites at Tessemae’s or The New Primal.
Can you can pan fry these?
I haven’t tried, but I think you would be totally fine. You can follow the method for this popcorn chicken. Basically all you need to do is add about 3/4-1 cup of oil to a large skillet and let it get hot. Fry the chicken in batches, making sure not to over crowd them.
Then just toss in the sauce and you are set!
I hope you love these air fryer boneless buffalo wings as much as I do. I grew up eating buffalo chicken with my dad and friends and it holds a special place in my heart. It makes me so happy that I can now make it at home.
Bonus points that I made a healthier, gluten free, and dairy free version of it!
And if you read this dad, we are definitely making them when you guys come out in March!!
Make sure to check out the video at the top of the page to see how easy this recipe comes together!
Air Fryer Boneless Buffalo Wings
Air Fryer Boneless Buffalo Wings
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- avocado oil
- serve with: ranch or blue cheese, carrot sticks, celery, hot sauce...
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- In a small bowl mix together the almond flour, tapioca flour, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt and pepper. In another small bowl, add the whisked eggs. Set up an assembly line with cubed chicken, eggs, and flour mixture.
- Bread the chicken by dipping it in the egg mixture, making sure it is fully coated. Roll in the flour mixture, fully coating and shaking off any excess. Place on a plate and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Place chicken in your air fryer basket, evenly spreading out and leaving room in between pieces so the air can easily flow through. If using, spray chicken with a light coating of avocado oil. Close drawer, set air fryer on manual at 375°F for 15 minutes, pausing halfway through to stir them up, making sure they are still evenly spread out after stirring. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you will probably have to cook the chicken in two batches to make sure they are not overcrowded.
- When the chicken is almost done, make the buffalo sauce. Add hot sauce, ghee, lemon juice, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until warmed through and combined, about 3 minutes.
- Once chicken is done, add to a large bowl and pour buffalo sauce over chicken. Carefully mix to coat the chicken. Make sure to mix carefully as you don't want the breading to come off. Serve with ranch or blue cheese, carrots, celery, and more hot sauce!
This post may contain affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!
Leave a Rating & Comment