Eggplant slices topped with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese, this low-carb Grilled Eggplant Pizza makes a perfect easy, light, and gluten-free meal!
Last updated on May 27, 2020.
Raise your hand if you are fan of eggplant 🙋🏻♀️🙋🏽♂️
For some reason I always forget about eggplant but it is one of my favorite veggies! My mom is a pescatarian so we grew up eating a decent amount of it. One of her go to easy recipes during the week was a stovetop eggplant parmesan. To this day it is still one of my favorite meals.
You guys should know by now that Michael is a huge fan of pizza. I think he might possibly be able to eat it everyday and not get sick of it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good, but I can get tired of it. And that is where this eggplant pizza comes in!
Since he loves pizza so much but I don’t always want to be eating mass amounts of crust and cheese, I am always looking for healthy swaps. I’ve made sweet potato pizza, pizza egg cups, zucchini pizza boats, and now these!!
The eggplant makes a great “crust” because it holds up well and has a nice meatiness to it. It is also a low carb and a fun way to get in some more veggies into your diet.
These grilled eggplant pizzas makes and easy and fun summer meal, appetizer, or side dish that’s gluten free and vegetarian. Since there is only two of us in the house, we had a bunch left over and they saved well in the fridge for a few days. You could totally make a batch and save them for meal prep throughout the week!
Grilled eggplant pizza
This recipe is as easy as it sounds – grilled eggplant pizza! You only 4 ingredients, a grill, and a few optional toppings if you like to get fancy. They take about 25 minutes to come together and are the perfect lightened up and low carb pizza recipe.
Here is what you need:
- mozzarella cheese
- pizza sauce
- olive oil
- fresh basil and red pepper flakes (optional)
First heat up your grill to 350-375 degrees Fahrenheit. While that heats up, cut your eggplant into 1/2 inch or so slices. Toss with some olive oil and salt.
Once grill is hot, place eggplant directly on the grates in a single layer over indirect heat (not right over the fire/flames). Close the lid and grill for 10-12 minutes. Open lid, flip, and grill for another 2 minutes with the lid closed.
Next, add your pizza sauce and cheese. Spoon about a 1-2 tablespoons or so of pizza sauce on each slice followed by a sprinkle of cheese, dividing it among all the slices. Close lid of grill and grill from another 2-3 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
Finally, top with fresh basil and red pepper flakes and enjoy!
Eggplant pizza topping
I kept these eggplant pizzas to a classic recipe of sauce and cheese, but you could really add whatever you like to them! Here are a few suggestions:
- veggies – sauté up some veggies (mushrooms, peppers, onions, and spinach would be good) and layer them in-between the sauce and the cheese. Just make sure to dice them up small enough.
- protein – to up the protein in this recipe, add some chicken sausage, pork sausage, shredded chicken, or pepperoni
- different sauce – try pesto instead of pizza sauce!
If you don’t have a grill
If you don’t have a grill, you can totally make eggplant pizza in the oven. Simply follow the method, but instead preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat and roast for 10-15 minutes until starting to soften. Remove and top with sauce and cheese. Place back into the oven and roast for 2-3 more minutes until cheese is melted.
More healthy pizza recipes
Grilled Eggplant Pizza
- 2 medium-large eggplants, sliced in 3/4" thick rounds (about 780 grams)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 heaping cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 5.5 ounces)
- optional toppings: fresh basil, red pepper flakes
- Heat grill to 350-375 degrees.
- While grill heats, toss eggplant in olive oil and salt. Once grill is up to temperature, add eggplant directly on grates on a single layer over indirect heat (not directly over the flames). Close lid and grill for 10-12 minutes. Open lid, flip, and grill for another 2 minutes with the lid closed.
- Spoon pizza sauce over each slice, evenly dividing between slices (aboutu 1-2 tablespoons on each one). Sprinkle each slice with cheese as well. Close lid of grill and grill from another 2-3 more minutes, until cheese is melted. Top with fresh basil and red pepper flakes and enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I appreciate your support!