Healthy Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats loaded with buffalo chicken, baked for 30 minutes, and topped with a healthy blue cheese dressing. Super easy to make and the whole family will love them! Gluten-free, keto, low carb, and easily made paleo and Whole30.
Bring on another easy and healthy buffalo chicken recipe! I just can’t get enough and my love for buffalo runs deep.
I decided to take that combo and make it into a flavor-packed buffalo chicken zucchini boats. They are then are topped with a healthy homemade blue cheese dressing because you can’t have buffalo chicken without blue cheese right?!
Why we love these buffalo chicken zucchini boats:
- packed with protein!
- they use just a handful of ingredients – just 6 ingredients if you count the blue cheese dressing
- great for an effortless weeknight dinner or meal prep (they save really well!)
Buffalo chicken zucchini boats
An easy weeknight meal, these buffalo chicken zucchini boats take about 40 minutes and are a delicious, healthy, and gluten-free dinner loaded with buffalo chicken flavor, topped with blue cheese, and super easy to throw together!
Buffalo chicken zucchini boats ingredients:
- instant pot buffalo chicken – see below for an easy substitute if you don’t have an instant pot
- buffalo sauce
- healthy blue cheese dressing (see below for directions)
First, you need to make your zucchini boats. To do this, cut off the ends and then cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. Take a spoon and scoop out the center/seedy part, making a ‘boat’ to hold the buffalo chicken filling.
Tip – make sure you don’t throw away the insides! You can chop it up and use it in a stir fry or omelets, freeze and throw in smoothies, and my favorite way – give them to your dog!
Next, pour 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce to line the bottom of a glass baking dish. Place the zucchini boats flesh side up Then, evenly distribute your buffalo chicken mixture. Drizzle with an additional 1/4 cup buffalo sauce.
Cover with tin foil, place it in the oven, and bake for 30-35 minutes until zucchinis are tender and cooked through. They should be easy to pierce with a fork, but still, have a little firmness.
While the zucchini boats cook, make your healthy blue cheese dressing (instructions below) if using. Finally, once zucchini boats are done, top with the blue cheese dressing and enjoy!
Healthy blue cheese dressing
I am 100% team blue cheese! While I have grown to like ranch more, blue cheese is where it’s at when it comes to anything buffalo. I love the strong and salty taste it has.
I decided to make a lightened-up healthy blue cheese dressing to top the zucchini boats. It’s super easy and only made with a few ingredients. Here is what you need:
- blue cheese crumbles
- greek yogurt – I used 4% fat but any percentage will work
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Simply add the ingredients to a bowl and mix them together until combined! It has that blue cheese flavor you love, with some tang and creaminess from the yogurt, and it goes so well to cool down the spiciness of the buffalo chicken zucchini boats.
If you want more of a blue cheese flavor, add more blue cheese to the mix!
To make this recipe paleo and Whole30, leave off the blue cheese dressing.
How to pick the best zucchinis for zucchini boats
A quick note about the zucchini – I looked for smaller one’s uniform in size. That way they fit into my pan. If you can’t find small ones or are using garden ones that won’t fit in a pan, you can use a few baking dishes instead of just one.
Do I have to use instant pot buffalo chicken?
To keep this zucchini boat recipe easy, I used my instant pot buffalo chicken. I love making a batch and having it on hand for easy meals throughout the week. But I know not everyone has an instant pot.
To make easy shredded buffalo chicken for these buffalo chicken zucchini boats, simply mix 2.5 cups shredded chicken and 1/2 cup buffalo sauce. You can use either homemade shredded chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the store.
What to serve with buffalo chicken zucchini boats
Here are a few options to serve with these chicken stuffed zucchini boats:
More healthy buffalo chicken recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Burgers
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Tenders (Paleo/Whole30)
- Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
Healthy Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles (1 ounce)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons greek yogurt (I used 4% fat)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour 1/2 cup buffalo sauce in a large glass baking dish.
- Make the zucchini boats. Cut the bottom and top off the zucchini and then cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving about 1/4-1/2 inch shell. Place flesh side up in the glass baking dish.
- Stuff the zucchini boats with the buffalo chicken, dividing it up evenly (make sure to get all the sauce). Drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup buffalo sauce. Cover pan with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes until zucchini is cooked through, but still has some firmness.
- While the zucchini boats bake, make the blue cheese dressing by mixing yogurt, blue cheese, lemon juice, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Adjust according to taste if desired.
- When zucchini boats are done, top with blue cheese dressing and optional toppings. Enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links and I may make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products through the links. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!