Caramelized apricots and toasted oats & coconut make this Apricot Yogurt Bowl protein and fiber packed breakfast perfect for summertime.
Hey, I’m back after a little hiatus!
I’ll give a few life updates on what happened the last month or so. First my sister came out to visit for a week since she just finished her semester. So. much. fun. A lot of drinking and eating going on, and so many Austin things. Then a week later, the boyfriend’s sister and cousin came out to visit. Again, so much fun, a lot more drinking, and the same touristy Austin things haha. It was so nice having family out here and showing them Austin. I finally got the boyfriend a grill and it’s the best thing ever. I want him to grill anything and everything.
SO let’s cut to the chase and talk about this yogurt bowl. Greek yogurt is a great source of protein, packing 23 grams per one cup. I recently started eating yogurt again a few months ago after giving it up for a two years and I’m so glad it agrees with me. I mixed the yogurt with chia seeds, which are packed with omega 3s, protein, antioxidants, and fiber.
The real powerhouse is the apricots though. Most people are used to eating dried apricots, but right now they are in season and it is only for a short time. So get them while you can! Just two medium apricots pack 1.5 grams of fiber, 1,348 IUs of vitamin A, 766 IUs of beta-catotene, 181 mg of potassium, and 13 mg of phytosterols.
Apricots also contain beta-cryptoxanthin, which is a member of the carotenoid family and is a strong antioxidant and can reduce the risk of lung and colon cancer. They are pretty much a tasty little, beautiful, orange package! I only used half an apricot in this recipe because they were pretty large, but feel free to use as many as you like!
Toasted Oats & Apricot Yogurt Bowl
- Mix together the Greek yogurt and chia seeds and place in a bowl.
- Place a saute pan over medium-low heat, add 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil, and let it heat up, about 30 seconds or so.
- Add the oats and coconut flakes and cook for 2-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are lightly toasted. Make sure they don't burn.
- Remove and place in the bowl with yogurt mixture.
- Add the remaining coconut oil and sliced apricots to the pan. Let them warm through, cooking about 2-3 minutes, and flipping once.
- Place in the bowl with the oat and yogurt mixture.
Have you ever had fresh apricots? If not you must try them!