A sweet and salty breakfast, this Quinoa Pistachio Peach Yogurt Parfait is packed with protein, carbs, and healthy fats and perfect for on the go.
September?!? Already?? I swear it was just the beginning of summer and now we are almost in fall. This summer was so jam packed with traveling, I can’t believe it is almost over. It won’t feel like fall for a little while here in Austin, which will be nice. I’m still all about being at the pool and doing outside activities.
Side rant – why do mostly all the pools in Austin close down so early. I wanted to go the pool yesterday to swim some laps and work on my tan and most of them are closed. I mean I understand the kids are back in school, but it is still going to be mid 90s this whole week. Not fair for us grown-ups.
I made this parfait the other week and just now getting around to posting it. Thankfully peaches are still in season. This breakfast is perfect for people on the go. It is packed with protein, carbs, and healthy fats to get your brain going in the morning and your metabolism revving. The sweet and salty combination from the peaches and the pistachios is wonderful. The pistachios also add a nice crunch so there is some texture in there.
I used leftover red quinoa for this recipe to make it easy. You can definitely whip up a batch to make this recipe, I would just allow it to cool before you assemble the parfait. Throw it in the fridge for 10 minutes if you are impatient like me. Also, if you are making this the night before, don’t add the pistachios until you are ready to eat. This way they will remain crunchy.
Peaches include small, but measurable, amounts of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin C, K, and A, betacarotene, and potassium. Peaches also contain beta-cryptoxanthin, a carotenoid with anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties. Get them while they are in season to reap the most benefits and favor.
Quinoa Pistachio Peach Yogurt Parfait
- Take 3/4 cup of the diced peach and the unsweetened almond milk and place in a blender. Blend until smooth or desired consistency (I left mine a little chunky).
- Mix the chia seeds with the peach mixture and spoon into a jar.
- Layer the Greek yogurt on top of the peach and chia mixture.
- Next layer the quinoa, shelled pistachios, and the remaining 1/4 cup diced peach.
- Dig in!
2. If you are making this recipe ahead of time, do not add the pistachios. Wait until you are going to eat the parfait to add the nuts so they remain crunchy.
What are some of your favorite on the go breakfasts?