This Crispy Prosciutto & Butternut Squash Salad is an easy, flavorful, and light salad, perfect for transitioning from summer to fall.
Happy Tuesday!! How was everyones long weekend? I had to work a little on Saturday, but other than that, mine was great! My friend turned 30 on Friday so we went out to dinner at Jupiter Friday night, she had a pool party on Saturday, and on Sunday we watched the UT vs ND football game with some friends. What a crazy game! I’m excited to watch the new QB this season, he looks legit! Yesterday I just worked out and then blogged and cleaned some. Pretty successful weekend I would say!
Summer won’t feel like it is officially over in Austin for a month or so, but now that it is September everyone is in fall mode. Bring on all the pumpkin!! I’m not ready for fall yet, but I can get down on some of the flavor profiles of the season. I can eat salad all year round, but I know some people can’t.
This crispy prosciutto & butternut squash salad brings some flavors of fall, while still keeping it light and flavorful. I love adding hot veggies to cold salads. It wilts the greens a little and makes it feel more hearty to me. The star of this salad is the crispy prosciutto. It is salty and pairs perfectly with the sweet squash and figs. Figs aren’t in season long, so get them while they are fresh!
If you want to make this into a full meal, feel free to add some more protein. Grilled chicken would go perfectly on here, or some chickpeas to add some more fiber and protein. Michael ate this salad as is and said “it is so good, I might have to eat the whole thing!”
Now that is saying something from the guy that I have to beg to eat veggies on most days!
Crispy Prosciutto, Fig, & Butternut Squash Salad
- 4 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 pieces prosciutto
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 8 fresh figs, sliced horizontally
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon coconut oil and salt and pepper. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and slightly brown.
- Place the balsamic vinegar in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let it thicken. It coat the back of a spoon.
- While the dressing and butternut squash cook, make the prosciutto. Heat a small cast iron or sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon coconut oil and let it get hot, about 1-2 minutes. Rip each slice of prosciutto in 4 pieces. Place the pieces in the hot pan and let cook on each side 1-2 minutes. It should get crispy, like bacon. Place on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- When the butternut squash has 10 minutes left, toss the pecans with 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil and cinnamon and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until crispy.
- Assemble the salad. Place mixed greens, butternut squash, prosciutto, pecans, and figs in a large bowl. Top with desired amount of dressing and mix well.
Are you ready for fall yet or still in summer mode?
Leave a Rating & Comment