Easy Chicken Fajita Soup takes all your favorite ingredients for chicken fajitas and packs it into delicious and healthy soup. Made in one pot and loaded with chicken, beans, rice, peppers, onions, and taco seasoning, and then topped with your favorite toppings. It’s hearty and comforting and makes an easy weeknight dinner or meal prep soup.
Last updated on February 10, 2020.
Hello to a fun spin on chicken fajitas – chicken fajita soup! I am all about fajitas. I mean we do live in Austin and what’s not to love about a hot sizzling pan/plate.
Since we are the dead of winter, I figured this chicken soup would be a delicious way to take those flavors and put it into a hearty soup.
I’m not a fan of the cold weather, but I do love a great soup. I think that might be the best thing about winter is soups. They are filling, comforting, and hits the spot on a cold night.
This chicken fajita soup does just that! It’s hearty, filling, absolutely delicious, and totally hits the spot when craving something comforting, but still want to keep it healthy.
And it’s perfect for an easy meal (it’s all made in one pot) or meal prep. It’s packed with protein, carbs, and fiber to keep you full. Add some healthy fats like avocado or cheese on top and you are set!
Chicken Fajita Soup
We love this fajita soup because it a nice change up from the typical way we eat fajitas. While there is nothing wrong with that way, this way pretty much wraps up all the best parts into a comforting and cozy one pot meal, while still being healthy.
Here is what you need:
- chicken – breast or thighs work – I love ButcherBox!
- black beans
- chicken broth
- canned diced tomatoes
- taco seasoning
- lime juice
- salt and pepper
First start out by heating up a large dutch oven or stock pot with some oil. Add the onions and salt and pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes until softened. Next add the diced chicken and 1 tablespoon taco seasoning and saute for 3-4 minutes until browned on the outside. The chicken can still be raw on the inside as it will continue to cook.
Next add the peppers and garlic and saute for 2 more minutes. Then add the rice and mix well to combine. Then add the broth and diced tomatoes and stir well to combine. Place a lid on the pot and let simmer for 15 minutes until rice is cooked through.
Finally add in the black beans, rest of the taco seasoning, and lime juice and let black beans warm through, about 1-2 minutes. Top with you favorite toppings and enjoy!
Toppings for Chicken Fajita Soup
I don’t know about you, but whether is it a hearty soup or chili, the toppings are usually the best part. Here are some some of my favorite things for toppings this Mexican chicken and rice soup:
- avocado or guacamole
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- diced tomatoes
- shredded cheese
- tortilla chips for some crunch or for dipping
- lime juice
- hot sauce
- red pepper flakes
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
To make chicken fajita soup in the slow cooker, add all ingredients except the rice to a slow cooker and mix well to combine. Place on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. When there is about 20-30 minutes left, make the rice according to the package. Once the soup is done, place rice into serving bowls and top with soup. Mix well and enjoy!
Make it Low Carb
To make this soup low carb, replace the rice with cauliflower rice. To do this, add the cauliflower rice, along with the black beans, when you add the broth. Cover with the lid and simmer for 5 minutes until rice is cooked through. Stir in the rest of the taco seasoning and lime juice once cauliflower rice is done.
In addition, can also reduce the amount of rice as it does have a decent amount. Or reduce the amount of black beans and add more veggies for a low carb option.
Can I Freeze Chicken Fajita Soup
To freeze, let the chicken and rice soup cool completely. Pour into glass jars (I love these weck jars). Leave about an inch of space at the top between the soup and the lid so it has room to expand. Place in freezer and when you are ready to eat, let defrost in the fridge or in the sink for a few hours. Then just heat in small saucepan or the microwave.
It should last in the freezer for 3 months
More Healthy Soup Recipes
Roasted Red Pepper & Squash Soup
Instant Pot Curry Butternut Squash Soup
Chicken Fajita Soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (120 grams)
- 1 pound chicken breast (cubed)
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped (350 grams/3 heaping cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white rice (uncooked)
- 1 14.5-ounce canned diced tomatoes (I used fired roasted)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning (divided)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- for serving: tortilla chips, avocado/guacamole, cilantro, diced tomatoes, greek yogurt/sour cream, cheese, lime juice, red pepper flakes, hot sauce…
- Heat a large dutch oven or nonstick pot over medium-low heat. Add oil and let it get hot, about 30 seconds. Add onion and salt and pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes until softened and slightly brown. Add chicken, 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, and a little salt and pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until chicken is browned on the outside. It does not have to be cooked all the way through.
- Add peppers and minced garlic, mix well, and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Add dry rice and mix well to combine, making sure it gets coated with some of the spices. Add canned tomatoes (with juices) and broth and mix well to combine, making sure nothing is stuck to the bottom. Place lid on the pot and let simmer, untouched, over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Rice should be soft and fully cooked after 15 minutes.
- Add black beans, remaining 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning, and lime juice and mix well to combine. Cook for 1-2 more minutes until beans are warmed through. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Leave a Rating & Comment