Beet Quinoa Breakfast Bowls come together in under 10 mins and make a healthy and easy gluten free and vegetarian breakfast – great for meal prep or on-the-go!
This recipe first appeared on Instagram in partnership with Love Beets.
December 21st already?!? How is Christmas only a few days away? Are you done all your shopping? Baked all the cookies? Wrapped all the presents?!
So many questions ha! Luckily I ordered most of my gifts online and just had them sent to where they are going to be opened. I do need to send my sister a few more things, but her main present will be there on Christmas morning.
While I am excited for Christmas this year, it’s going to look a lot different for us. The past few years we have gone back east to see our families and then last year my family came out here. This year we will be staying in Austin and it will be just Michael and I. It is going to be a little weird just us, but I’m excited to start our own traditions that we will continue throughout the years.
One of them is being cinnamon rolls!! I’ve had the idea in my head for a few weeks now that I want to make them. We used to do them growing up, but it was the ones in the can that you pop open and bake lol. Also thinking some mimosas or bloody marys to go along with them. Now I just need to find a good recipe to make!
And it’s our first Christmas in our new house!!! I still don’t think it has hit me that this is our house. Check out the sneak peak I did last week! It’s still not anywhere close to being setup the way we are envisioning – we need more furniture (new couch is on the way!), I want to paint an accent wall, we need a mantel over the fire place, and Michael is still begging me to put my clothes away.
But we have a Christmas tree up and decorated the house with a few decorations we have which makes it feel like the holidays. I’m excited for the first year here but also the many down the road.
This recipe doesn’t really have to do with the holidays, but if this time is super busy for you like it is most of us, these quinoa breakfast bowls are a life saver! Instead of your usual sweet oatmeal bowl, I switched our the oats for quinoa and made it savory. If you haven’t had quinoa for breakfast it’s a great swap. It’s packs fiber, slow digesting carbs, and also has protein. I usually make some during meal prep over the weekend and it lasts for the week.
To add to the quinoa, I sautéed some kale in avocado oil and garlic, sliced up some Love Beets, poached an egg, and topped with some avocado and hot sauce. They come together in less than 10 for a quick and easy breakfast. It was also my first time poaching an egg and I promise it is so easy. The key is adding some apple cider vinegar to the pot of boiling water. I’m not sure what it does, but it works.
Feel free to customize these breakfast bowls to fit your needs – more veggies, goat cheese, fresh herbs..go for it!
I hope everyone has a fun, relaxing, and safe Christmas!!
If you make this recipe or anything from Eat the Gains, make sure to post it and tag me so I can see all of your creations!!
#eatthegains and @eatthegains on Instagram!
Meal Prep Beet Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
- 3/4 cup quinoa, cooked
- 3/4 cup cooked beets, sliced - I used Love Beets (95 grams)
- 2-3 cups packed kale (85 grams)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 medium avocado (40 grams)
- 1-2 large eggs
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, for topping
- Heat up quinoa if you prefer. Set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat add avocado oil and let it get hot (about 30 seconds). Add kale and sauté for 3-4 minutes, adding in garlic powder and lemon juice halfway through, until cooked through and wilted down.
- While kale cooks, poach the egg - crack an egg into a small bowl and set aside. Fill a medium sized sauce pan with a few inches of water and let it come to a simmer. Add a splash of apple cider vinegar to the water once it simmers. Using a spoon, swirl the water to create a whirlpool and slowly drop the egg into the water. Let it cook for 3 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Assemble the bowl - add quinoa, cooked kale, sliced beets, poached egg, avocado, and hot sauce.
This post may contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!