Nutrient-packed thick and creamy Pineapple Avocado Green Smoothie is loaded with veggies, fruit, healthy fats, fiber, and protein and tastes like the tropics thanks to pineapple, coconut milk, and lime! An easy breakfast or healthy snack. Vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Last updated on April 9, 2021.
I love a good smoothie. And as the weather gets warmer, I crave them more and more. They are super customizable, loaded with vitamins and minerals, and can make an easy meal or snack.
And there is something about a green smoothie that makes me feel refreshed and rejuvenated. They are a great way to get in some greens early in the morning and get your body/digestion going.
Sometimes smoothies are loaded with fruit though, which essentially translates to sugar. This spikes your blood sugar, causing it to fall fast, and making you feel tired and sluggish. I tried to pack this pineapple avocado green smoothie with not a lot of fruit, healthy fats, fiber, some protein, and lots of nutrients!
And bonus – it kind of tastes like the tropics thanks to the pineapple, avocado, coconut milk, and lime! It’s super light and refreshing to kick start your day.
Benefits of a green smoothie
This pineapple green smoothie is loaded with so many benefits!
- coconut milk – a good source of copper and manganese and full of healthy fats. Fats help slow down digestion, keep us full longer, and give us long-lasting energy. The MCT fats (medium-chain triglycerides) in coconut milk are easier to metabolize and are preferred to be used as energy than stored as fat. Some studies have shown they can even help boost metabolism.
- pineapple – full of bromelain which can help aid digestion, help reduce inflammation, and speed wound healing. It also contains a good amount of manganese, vitamin C, and potassium. It is also thought to be a libido-boosting food.
- apple – are loaded with antioxidants and phenolic compounds, helping fight cardiovascular disease and having cancer-fighting properties.
- ginger – helps stimulates digestion and boosts circulation. By boosting circulation, ginger helps a systemic cleansing through the skin, bowels, and kidneys.
- avocado – full of healthy monounsaturated fat, which can help lower cholesterol. They are a good source of fiber and lutein, which is great for your eyes and skin. Avocado is what helps give this green smoothie a creamy texture!
- chia seeds – packed with omega 3s, antioxidants, and fiber.
- lime – is very similar to lemon and can aid digestion by stimulating the flow of saliva, thus easing the work of the liver. It also works as a diuretic and laxative if you are constipated.
All of these ingredients are great in the morning to get your digestion system revving for the day!
Pineapple avocado green smoothie recipe
The reason I love smoothies so much, is they are so easy to make! It’s as easy as adding all your ingredients into a blender and blending it up.
Green smoothie ingredients:
- lite coconut milk
- frozen pineapple
- green apple
- chia seeds
- lime juice
- vanilla protein powder or collagen (optional)
To make it, add everything to your blender (I used my Vitamix) and blend it up. Top with some toppings if you like and enjoy!
This smoothie is pretty THICK. I absolutely love my smoothies this way so I can add some toppings, but if you don’t feel free to add some more liquid to thin it out.
Meal prep smoothies
Smoothies are actually a pretty great option for meal prep. While they are easy to make on the fly, but prepping some ingredients in advance will make them even easier. Here are a few options to prep this pineapple spinach smoothie:
- freeze for your fruits, veggies, and ginger in one bag – in a large bag, add your frozen pineapple, apple (I would suggest chopping it up some), spinach, avocado (just remove the skin and seed), and ginger. Place in the freezer and when ready to use, just add it to your blender. The frozen avocado will make the smoothie even more creamy!
- portion out your protein and chia seeds – place them in a small container or bag for an easy grab and dump option.
In the morning, all you have to do is grab your bag of frozen fruit and veggies, your individual serving of protein, liquid, lime juice, and ice, and dump in the blender and blend!
Substitutions and additions for a green smoothie
You can customize this smoothie to your liking and add in protein, fruit, or veggies depending on how you like your smoothies. Here are some things I think would be delicious:
- coconut milk – any kind of milk will work (dairy or non) instead of coconut milk. For a super creamy consistency, you can use full-fat coconut milk, which will also add more fat.
- frozen fruit – mango would be a good substitute for pineapple or even an addition to make it more tropical tasting.
- veggies – up the nutrients with some more veggies. You can add more spinach or add things like frozen cauliflower rice or zucchini, which are both neutral in taste.
- lime – feel free to use lemon juice or any citrus juice instead.
- protein powder or collagen – the protein is optional, but I love having it in there to make a macro-balanced meal! Vanilla protein adds some sweetness while collagen shouldn’t change the flavor. I don’t recommend chocolate protein powder for this smoothie.
- yogurt – use vanilla or plain and dairy or non-dairy yogurt to add some more protein.
- nut butter – for some more healthy fats and a little protein. Almond butter or cashew butter would be delicious. Try tahini or sunbutter for a nut-free version.
More healthy smoothie recipes
- Chocolate Beet Smoothie
- Post Workout Chocolate Protein Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Coffee Protein Smoothie
Pineapple Avocado Green Smoothie
- 1/2 cup lite unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup packed spinach (35 grams)
- 1/2 heaping cup frozen pineapple (70 grams)
- 1/2 small green apple, roughly chopped (100 grams)
- 1/2 small avocado (50 grams)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2-1 inch fresh ginger (depending on taste)
- 1-2 scoops vanilla protein powder or collagen (optional)
- 1-2 cups ice
- Add all ingredients in the order listed to a Vitamix or high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy as a smoothie or as a smoothie bowl with desired toppings!
This post may contain affiliate links and I may make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products through the links. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!