These Cashew Cherry Chocolate Cups are an easy summer treat that uses fresh fruit and are vegan, paleo, & dairy-free!
My cherry addiction is strong with now. I think we have bought almost 20 pounds already. No joke. Every time I open the fridge I usually snag a handful. We froze a lot of them, but then I just buy more. I keep telling Michael that if we freeze them it is so much cheaper than buying them already frozen. Which is true. But really I just can’t pass up a good deal and they have been on sale for less than $2/pound.
Truth is, I didn’t like cherries too much growing up. I hated those fake ones they put on ice cream sundaes so I used to think I didn’t like the real deal. Until I tried some and then was addicted. I remember going cherry picking with my mom and eating them until my stomach hurt. I may or may not still do that…
So with an excess of cherries I wanted to experiment with them some. The obviously choice was adding chocolate. I mean cherries and chocolate is a match made in heaven. And going so well with that is nut butter. With chocolate, nut butter, and fruit, you really can’t go wrong.
I combined my cashew coconut butter with fresh cherries for the top layer. The base is chocolate chips with a little coconut oil. I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips as they are pretty clean and are vegan and gluten free. Originally I was going to make it like a PB cup, but this way just seemed way easier.
These are best kept in the freezer so the cashew cherry layer stays hard. To serve, just take them out and let sit for a few minutes to soften up. The bottom will stay hard but the top layer will get soft, kind of like a thick pudding consistency. Don’t let them sit out too long though or they will melt!
Cashew Cherry Chocolate Cups
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the coconut oil and chocolate chips. Place in the microwave for 20 seconds, stir, and repeat until chocolate is melted.
- Scoop out one tablespoon of mixture and place in silicone or paper muffin cups. Place in freezer for 5-10 minutes to harden.
- While chocolate is setting, make cashew cherry mixture. Add cherries and cashew coconut butter to a high powered blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Add one tablespoon on top of harden chocolate. Sprinkle with shredded coconut if using.
- Place in freezer to harden, about 1-2 hours. Store in freezer and remove a few minutes before serving.
Have you been eating a lot of fresh fruit lately? What is your favorite?