Seriously, the best golden milk turmeric latte! It’s rich, smooth and creamy, and made from fresh turmeric and ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, cashew butter, and collagen for an extra protein boost. Only 10 minutes to make you feel on top of the world. Gluten-free, paleo, and vegan and Whole30 friendly.
Last updated on March 4, 2021. This recipe was originally posted on Pure Taste Recipes.
I told myself I would never call one of my recipes “the best”. I mean come on, it really can’t be the best. Or can it?! There are 100s and 1000s of recipes out there, but I am in love with this golden milk turmeric latte so much.
It’s rich and creamy, not too sweet, has protein in it, and even has a little spice to it! But, this turmeric latte is not for the faint of heart – it packs a punch and is full of flavor. While I love the boldness of it, you can adjust according to your taste and preferences.
Even Michael was on board. And I made it for my parents and they liked it too!
What is golden milk?
Golden milk is dairy or nondairy milk blended or whisked with turmeric (to give it that golden color) along with other spices and add-ins for flavor and taste. You can either heat the milk up while you are making it (my favorite way) or just keep it chilled.
Popular additions to golden milk are ginger, cinnamon, some kind of sweetener (maple syrup or honey), coconut oil, and pepper. What you add to it is really up to you and your personal preference.
If you haven’t gotten on the turmeric train yet, now is the time! You might be familiar with turmeric if you like Indian cuisine as it’s an important part of curry. The benefits are unreal.
The yellow pigment that gives turmeric its beautiful color is curcumin and is responsible for a lot of its medicinal benefits as well. One of the main benefits is its amazing anti-inflammatory properties. It has an anti-tumor effect, is an antioxidant, is antibacterial, and is one of the highest sources of beta-carotene.
It can be great for people with arthritis or dealing with depression and can help prevent heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and cancer. You can even mix ground turmeric with water to form a paste and apply it to irritated skin.
Make sure to use pepper when cooking with turmeric – it helps with the absorption and boosts the bioavailability in the body.
What makes this the best turmeric latte
So what makes this the best turmeric latte? The differential factors in this recipe from others are collagen, cashew butter, and cayenne.
The collagen adds a protein boost and gives the latte a great foam top when blended. Cashew butter makes it rich and super creamy, while also adding some healthy fats. And the cayenne gives it a little kick and balances out the sweetness.
The addition of collagen and cashew butter makes this latte a little more filling by adding protein and some fat, along with the other health benefits.
It comes out so smooth and creamy, with a little froth on top. It is a little sweet from the collagen (if using a sweetened version) and the date and a little spicy from the cayenne and ginger. This turmeric latte just makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside and the perfect way to start your day or close the day before bed.
How to make golden milk
So let’s get into how to make the “best turmeric latte”. Like I said before, it’s up to you to add whatever you like to your golden milk. Adjust according to your taste! This simple golden milk recipe comes together in about 10 minutes and requires a small saucepan and a blender.
Golden milk ingredients:
- milk – I like non-dairy
- fresh turmeric
- fresh ginger
- Medjool date (leave out for Whole30)
- cashew butter
- collagen peptides (optional)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
First, add the almond milk, turmeric, ginger, and date to a small saucepan. This will help infuse the milk with fresh turmeric and ginger and soften the date. Let it come to a boil.
Once hot, add to a high-powered blender. You will need to make sure it is powerful to blend the turmeric and ginger. I love my Vitamix. Then add the collagen, cashew butter, cinnamon, cayenne, pepper, and salt.
Blend until smooth and creamy. I top mine with a little more cinnamon and enjoy!
Substitutions for a golden milk turmeric latte
As I mentioned before, this golden milk turmeric latte recipe can be easily customizable to your liking. Here are a few suggestions:
- milk – you can use dairy or nondairy milk
- fresh turmeric and ginger – while I love using fresh, if you don’t have it, you can use dried. I would suggest 1/4-1/2 teaspoon depending on your taste preference. If using dried, you can just add it to the blender with the collagen as it won’t need to be heated up with the milk and the date.
- date – you could also use honey or maple syrup. I would suggest starting with 1/2 tablespoon and going up from there depending on how sweet you like it. If using maple syrup or honey, you can just add it to the blender as it won’t need to be heated. You can leave out the sweetener to make it Whole30 compliant.
- cashew butter – any neutral nut or seed butter would work. Coconut butter would be a good option, but I would not suggest peanut butter.
- collagen – feel free to leave it out to keep this recipe vegan
- cayenne – I love a good kick of spiciness and feel like it takes this recipe to the next level, but if you don’t like spice, leave it out
More healthy drink recipes
- Collagen Hot Chocolate
- Coffee Protein Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Iced Matcha Latte
- Chocolate Beet Smoothie
Best Golden Milk Turmeric Latte
- In a small pot over medium heat, add almond milk, ginger, turmeric, and the date. Bring to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- Add milk mixture to a Vitamix or high-powered blender with the collagen, cashew butter, cinnamon, cayenne, salt, and pepper and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into your favorite mug, sprinkle with a little more cinnamon, and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links and I may make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products through the links. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!