This protein packed Collagen Hot Chocolate makes a thick and creamy healthy hot chocolate. It’s paleo and dairy free and takes 5 minutes to make!
This post is sponsored in partnership with Vital Proteins. All opinions expressed (as always) are my own. I only partner with brands I trust and personally recommend – thank you for your support in helping make Eat the Gains possible!
Check out the video to see how easy it comes together!
Collagen HOT CHOCOLATE!! Aka my new favorite drink! Can I get a heck yes?!?
Who is excited for the holiday season?! I don’t know if it’s because we are officially married (more to come on in a separate post), we have a puppy, our house is finally put together (at this time last year we just moved in!), or what. It just feels so right this year. And I’m obviously really excited for the holiday food! One of my favorite drink on a chilly night is hot chocolate. It just hits the spot and feels so homey.
While I used to used to love topping mine with marshmallows and whipped cream, I’ve grown out of that stage and have been making different versions of a healthy hot chocolate for the past few year. But this collagen hot chocolate is hands down my favorite! It’s thick and creamy, packed with protein (from one of my favorite supplements, collagen), low on sugar, and full of healthy fats!
Sounds pretty great right? But maybe you you are wondering what collagen even is and why it is in this hot chocolate? I’m going to break it down for you and let you know why you should be including it in your diet.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is a very important building block in our bodies – it’s the most abundant protein and is found in bone, muscles, muscles, tendons, skin, the digestive system, and blood vessels. It’s also found in hair, nails, Collagen is basically the “glue” that helps hold the body together. Unfortunately as we age, the production of collagen starts to slow down.
Supplementing with collagen can help improve your body’s collagen levels and this is where Vital Proteins comes in. I’ve been using their collagen peptides for a few years now and absolutely love it! It’s sourced from grass fed and pasture raised cows, producing a high quality, sustainable, and natural source of collagen that is easily digestible and dissolves in just about anything.
Benefits of Collagen
Where do I even start with the benefits of collagen. Since it is so abundant in our bodies, it has so many vital roles.
- It is pure protein – we know that protein helps build muscle and the more lean muscle mass you have on your body, the more efficient your body is at burning fat. Collagen contains arginine, which boosts the bodies ability to make protein from other amino acids, which is important in repairing muscle tissue and aiding in growth in development after a workout. I love adding collagen to my post workout meal!
- Increases your metabolism – glycine is an amino acid found in collagen may help increase your metabolism by adding lean muscle mass and helping with the conversion of essential nutrients
- May help reduce pain and prevent injury by strengthening joints and ligaments and helping them move easier
- If injured, it can help speed up recovery time – collagen formation is key when healing torn or ruptured muscles by aiding in the regeneration of muscle fibers and the production of connective scar tissue
- Improves gut health – collagen is in the gut’s connective tissue and can help strengthen the lining of your digestive tract. This helps with keeping food where it should be and not leaking into the bloodstream, which can cause inflammation
- Improves liver health by helping with detoxification
Collagen also helps keep us pretty:
- Helps the look of our skin – collagen makes up about 70% of the proteins in our skin and helps keep it looking firm and gives it elasticity. It can help reduce cellulite, wrinkles, and stretch marks.
- Collagen helps strength your nails and teeth
- Helps keep hair growing and can prevent hair loss and thinning
How to Use Collagen
With all of collagen’s benefits, it’s hard to pass it up. I like to add it wherever I can throughout the day since it is so powerful. It dissolves in just about anything the flavor is tasteless (you can buy flavored though!), making it easy to use. Some of my favorite ways to add it into my diet are:
- this collagen hot chocolate!
- in smoothies – this post workout chocolate protein smoothie is a favorite of mine
- chia pudding
- mix it into oatmeal, overnight oats, or yogurt
- stir into sauces, spreads, dips, or soups
- homemade protein tortillas
- energy balls – I love these chocolate peppermint or pumpkin chocolate chip ones this time of year
- and even ice cream
As you can see, the possibilities are endless!
How to Make Collagen Hot Chocolate
Okay, enough about the benefits of collagen and let’s get into this creamy dairy free hot chocolate. Made with a handful of ingredients and comes together in about 5 minutes. This is what you need:
- nondairy milk (I used a coconut almond milk blend)
- cacao powder
- collagen peptides
To make the collagen hot chocolate, add the nondairy milk, cashews, date, cacao powder, and cinnamon to a small pot and bring to a boil. Add the mixture to your Vitamix, or high powdered blender, along with the collagen, and blend until smooth. Pour into your favorite mug and top with some more cinnamon (or coconut whipped cream) and sit back and enjoy! It really couldn’t be easier and makes a healthy protein hot chocolate.
Make sure to check out the video at the top of the page to see how easy this recipe comes together!
Collagen Hot Chocolate (Paleo/Dairy Free)
- Place milk, cashews, date, cacao, and cinnamon in a small pot over medium heat. Let it come to a boil, about 5 minutes. Add mixture to a Vitamix or high powdered blender, along with collagen and salt (if using), and blend until smooth. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!