This Raw Summer Corn Salad combines seasonal veggies into a dish that is light, refreshing, and perfect for those hot summer nights.
When I hear fresh corn I immediately think summertime. I’m not even sure if you can get fresh corn in the winter, and I don’t really like canned veggies. So I don’t really eat it any other time than the summer. Unless it is holding together my taco or being dipped in guac.
It brings me back to when I was younger and we would spend every weekend at my family’s beach house. There was a fruit and vegetable stand right across the street from our neighbor that would have fresh corn and other seasonal produce. There were actually a few stands and my mom would know which ones had the freshest and best tasting corn. We would grill it, along with some seafood and other veggies, and enjoy a (mostly) relaxing dinner on the deck. I say mostly because my family is pretty cray cray, so nothing is ever truly relaxing haha.
This summer corn salad embodies those old memories with some new twists. I love when corn is on the cob, but I decided to take it off so we can all avoid immediately having to floss afterwards. The corn is raw since it is so fresh right now and you can’t beat the sweetness it has. Added is juicy fresh tomatoes, creamy avocado, and a little kick from the jalapeño. And then it is all topped with an easy cilantro dressing. Looks like I really am taking on this Texas living. Jalapeño and cilantro in everything!
We ate this corn salad straight up, but it would be great in salads, tacos, and even as a dip for chips. Corn chips dipped into corn salad? Sure why not, I won’t judge you.
Raw Summer Corn Salad
- 4 ears of corn, cut off the cob (can be white or yellow)
- 2 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeño, diced (leave seeds for more heat)
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (about 1-2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the dressing. Combine all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until incorporated. Set aside.
- Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl. Stir to incorporate. Add dressing and stir to combine.
Do any veggies bring you back to your childhood? Do you like your corn on or off the cob?