Quick and easy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan – “fried” in the air fryer for a crispy on the outside, juicy in the middle breaded chicken breast, and then covered with marinara sauce and melted cheese. Ready in just 20 minutes with only 8 ingredients, it makes a healthy version perfect for the whole family! Gluten-free and low carb.
This recipe first appeared on Instagram in partnership with Philips Kitchen.
Air fryer chicken parmesan! Can I get a heck yes?!
Oh man am I excited for this recipe! If you guys follow me on Instagram, you know we are obsessed with our air fryer and it wouldn’t be too long until this recipe showed up. I mean who doesn’t like chicken parmesan and the air fryer is a perfect way to make it a little healthier.
Traditional chicken parmesan is usually bread and deep fried or pan fried. While there is nothing wrong with that on occasion, it is a lot of oil, which can add a lot of fat. With the air fryer, you don’t need all the oil and it makes “frying” foods so easy. It also gives you the perfect crispiness that sometimes you can’t achieve in the oven, and it’s a lot faster!
This air fryer chicken parmesan is lightly breaded in a homemade gluten free flour mixture. Then “fried” in the air fryer for a crispy on the outside, juicy in the middle breaded chicken breast. Then you top it with some marinara sauce and cheese and cook a little more until it is perfectly melted.
It makes an easy and healthy weeknight meal the whole family will love. I made it for my dad while he was visiting and also for a friend one night for dinner – both of them loved it!
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
Restaurant style Italian food you love in the comfort of your own home. Air fryer chicken parmesan requires only 8 ingredients, 20 minutes to make, and an easy and healthy alternative to enjoy “fried” chicken at home. Serve with your your favorite side dish for a complete meal.
Here is what you need:
- chicken breasts – I love ButcherBox!
- almond flour
- shredded parmesan cheese
- tapioca flour
- Italian seasoning
- marinara sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- salt & pepper
- oil, for coating
First, start off by pounding your chicken. This ensures that it evenly cooks and helps get the meat more juicy. Then make the flour mixture – mix together the almond flour, parmesan cheese, tapioca flour, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Next whisk the egg in a shallow bowl.
Next bread the chicken – take a piece and dip it in the egg wash, making sure to fully coat, followed by the flour mixture, and then place it on a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Spray the bottom of the air fryer with a little oil (I like to use avocado oil spray). Place the breaded chicken in a single layer, giving a little room between each one for even air flow. Spray with a little avocado oil to help get them crispy and brown on the outside. You might have to cook your chicken in two batches depending on your air fryer. I can sometimes fit all 4 pieces in mine if I carefully squeeze them in.
Cook at 375 for 10 minutes. After 10 minute are up, open the drawer and evenly spread the marinara sauce on top of the breaded chicken. Then sprinkle the cheese over top the sauce. Cook for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted and breading is browned.
Finally, top with some fresh basil and more parmesan cheese!
Substitutions for Chicken Parmesan
- almond flour – I haven’t tried any other flours, but I think substituting another nut flour (cashew would probably be best) for almond flour would work. I wouldn’t suggest coconut flour as the consistency is different and a lot dryer.
- tapioca flour – arrowroot flour should work the same
- flour – if you have a store bought gluten free flour mix, I am pretty sure that will work instead of the almond and tapioca, but I haven’t tried it so I’m not positive.
- cheese – dairy free cheese will work if you can’t tolerate dairy
Reheat Fried Chicken in Air Fryer
Fried chicken is super easy to reheat in the air fryer. Simply place it in your air fryer basket and set it 375 for 5-10 minutes until warmed through. The amount of time will depend on how thick and big your pieces of chicken are.
For this chicken parmesan, I like to reheat it and then add just a little more cheese on top, and reheat for an other couple minutes until melted
What to serve with Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
You can eat this chicken parmesan as is or serve them with whatever you like. Here are some suggestions for serving:
- pasta – what’s chicken parmesan without some pasta?! My favorite is angel hair, but any kind of pasta will work, regular or gluten free.
- spaghetti squash – a great option if you wanted to keep this recipe lower carb
- crusty bread
- roasted veggies – broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, or even asparagus would be great.
More Healthy Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- 4 medium pieces chicken breasts (about 4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I like to use fresh)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounce)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- for serving: freshly chopped basil, red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese...
- Using a meat tenderizer, pound chicken into 1/2-1 inch thick pieces. I place the chicken on a large piece of parchment paper and folded it over to cover the chicken before poouding to help reduce the mess (see video).
- In a medium shallow bowl or plate whisk together the almond flour, parmesan cheese, tapioca flour, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. In another small bowl, whisk the egg. Set up an assembly line with chicken, whisked egg, and flour mixture.
- Bread the chicken by dipping it in the egg wash, making sure it is fully coated. Roll in the flour mixture, fully coating and shaking off any excess. Place on a plate and repeat with other piece of chicken.
- Spray the bottom of your air fryer basket with a little oil. Place chicken in your air fryer basket, evenly spreading out and leaving room in between pieces so the air can easily flow through. Spray with a little more oil. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you will probably have to cook the chicken in two batches to make sure they are not overcrowded.* Close drawer, set air fryer on manual at 375°F for 10 minutes.
- Open the drawer and top the chicken with marinana sauce and then shredded cheese, dividing them evenly between chicken breasts. Cook for another 5 minutes. Top with some fresh basil and serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!