Get moving this April with Million Mile Month, a fun challenge geared towards betting your health and wellness!
Hi friends! If you have read my blog or know me, you know I love a good challenge. Especially if it is a fitness or food related. I think a little competition is healthy for us. I know it helps release some of the stress build up I have and pushes me to my limits. Now that New Year’s Resolutions are long gone and summer is just around the corner, it is time to get moving! Our lives literally depend on it. And the perfect way to do that is with Million Mile Month.
What is that you ask? Million Mile Month started right here is Austin in 2013 by HealthCode. They launched a virtual fitness event to improve physical activity, in an engaging, supportive, and fun way. Million Mile Month challenges individuals and groups to join together as a global community to complete one million miles of physical activity during the month of April. They best thing about MMM is it is all geared towards one general goal – bettering your own health!
We all know that physical activity and a well balanced diet are key factors for a healthy life. But our society is heading in the opposite direction. Millions of people die each year from diseases like heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and cancer, which in some cases can be prevented. In the U.S. alone, childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents in the past 30 years. That is terrifying. We are setting our children up to live less healthy and shorter lives than us.
Physical activity is not only good for our bodies, but it is good for our minds. We had heard plenty of times that exercise can help combat health conditions and diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, obesity, depression, and cancer. But being active is beneficial to so many aspects in our lives! Listed below are just some of the amazing things exercise can do for us.
- Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. It can also boost your self-esteem by making you feel and look better.
- Exercise also boosts energy, which makes daily tasks easier. Regular physical activity improves muscle strength and endurance, making your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. Those 3 trips from the car to your house with your groceries seem easy. You might even lower it to 2 trips!
- Better sleep. Exercise can help you fall asleep faster and stay in a deep sleep or longer.
- Could improve your sex life! Yep, that’s right! When you exercise regularly, you feel and look better (points 1 and 2). This can lead to more self confidence and a positive effect on your sexual life.
- It is fun! No one is saying to run on the treadmill or 30 minutes. Find a nearby trail and enjoy a peaceful hike. Grab a friend and play some tennis. Take a dance class. If you get bored, try something new. Exercise should be enjoyable and not something you dread.
SO let’s all get moving in April and join the fun. You can register for Million Mile Month here. Registration levels range from FREE – $50. You can win prizes and compete with those in your company, family, or community. Grab your loves ones and make it a fun little competition. Or compete with your co-workers for some office bragging rights. By participating you can win awesome prizes, get recognition on the leaderboard, stay connected with like-minded people, and most importantly, better your health. By making movement and proper nutrition part of your life, by emphasizing their importance to your children, and encouraging friends, neighbors, and co-workers to do the same, it’s in your power to make preventable disease a thing of the past.
Leave a Rating & Comment