A full breakdown of collagen shots – what they are, how to use them, the benefits, a review, and whether or not they might be a good fit for you!
This post is sponsored in partnership with Vital Proteins. All opinions expressed (as always) are my own. I only partner with brands I trust and personally recommend – thank you for your support in helping make Eat the Gains possible!
If you have been following along with the trends, you have seen that collagen has been huge the past few years! You can find it on grocery stores shelves, on menus as additions to your coffee or smoothie, in protein bars, nut butters, and even desserts. There is a good reason why it is all over the place too, because it is great for you!
If you are unfamiliar with collagen, you can check out this post where I break it down for you (and share an amazing collagen hot chocolate recipe). As a brief rundown, collagen is an important building block in our bodies. It’s the most abundant protein and can be found in your bones, muscles, muscle tendons, skin, the digestive system, and blood vessels. Collagen is also found in your hair and nails.
As we age, the production of collagen starts to slow down, so we need to replenish it. Supplementing with collagen can help improve your body’s collagen levels and this is where Vital Proteins comes in. I’ve been using their collagen peptides for a few years and absolutely love it!
Vital Proteins recently came out with collagen shots to make a quick, portable, and tasty way to consume collagen. They also added some other function ingredients to each flavor as well depending on what you are looking for. Today I’m going to break down what collagen shots are, the benefits, how to use them, and my review!
What are Collagen Shots?
Collagen shots are exactly how they sound – a shot of collagen! Each shot packs 7 grams of collagen peptides in a tasty and portable liquid shot form. Each bottle is only 2 fluid ounces so you can carry them in your purse, a gym bag, and even through security at the airport.
Along with collagen, each flavor has functional ingredients added depending on what you are looking for. They range from restore, sleep, zen, glow, and cleanse so you can take whichever one you need depending on the time of day and what you have going on in your daily schedule.
Benefits of Collagen Shots
Collagen shots have all the benefits you know and love from collagen, plus additional function ingredients depending on the flavor. Some of the benefits of collagen include:
- It is pure protein – helps build muscle and boosts the bodies ability to make protein from other amino acids, which is important in repairing muscle tissue
- Increases your metabolism
- May help reduce pain and prevent injury by strengthening joints and ligaments and helping them move easier
- Aiding in the regeneration of muscle fibers and the production of connective scar tissue
- Improves gut health
- Improves liver health by helping with detoxification
- Helps the look of our skin – helps keep it looking firm and gives it elasticity. It can help reduce cellulite, wrinkles, and stretch marks.
- Collagen helps strength your nails and teeth
- Helps keep hair growing and can prevent hair loss and thinning
Besides those awesome benefits, each one of Vital Proteins’ collagen shots have different function ingredients. Here is how each flavor breaks down:
- Glow – strawberry and lemon flavored combined with vitamin C and biotin. Biotin and vitamin C helps enhance our body’s ability to produce collagen and supports overall hair, skin, and nail health. This is a great way to start your morning off!
- Zen – chamomile and lemon flavored combined with magnesium citrate and L-theanine to support relaxation and mental alertness. Great for mid day dose of zen.
- Restore – tart cherry and turmeric flavored combined with curcumin and black pepper to help support healthy joints and ligaments. An addition to your post-workout routine!
- Cleanse – raspberry and lemon flavored with apple cider vinegar assists in aiding our body’s ability to cleanse and boost immune system. This one is awesome any time of the day, but would be a great option before a meal.
- Sleep – blueberry and lavender flavored combined with melatonin, magnesium, and GABA to help support relaxation and a deep, restorative night’s sleep. Great before you go to bed!
Besides 7g of collagen peptides, each one has 60mg of hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid supports skin hydration and elasticity.
How to Use Collagen Shots
Unlike the powdered form of collagen that you usually need to mix with other ingredients, Vital Proteins collagen shots are ready to consume as is. They make it super easy to add a boost of collagen to your day without having to go out of your way to mix it with something.
Like stated above, they have 5 different flavors, each with functional ingredients depending on what you are looking for. From cleanse, sleep, restore, glow, and zen, there is a flavor to fit your mood. They best way to use collagen shots is to just open them up and drink them!
I pack a cleanse, restore, or glow in my husband’s breakfast or lunch for the day for him to enjoy whenever he wants. I love taking the restore in the morning after my workout to help replenish my muscles. If I don’t workout, the glow is a great option for the morning.
The cleanse is great in the middle of the day as a pick me up or before a meal. The zen is also a great choice mid-day to help relax and destress. The sleep and is great to take at night/before bedtime to help unwind and relax.
Review of Collagen Shots
So how do I like collagen shots?
Overall, I really liked them! My favorite flavors are the Cleanse, Restore, and Zen, but they are all good!
I love how portable they are and I can throw some in my purse or gym bag to have on hand whenever I need a little pick me up. I also like to enjoy one at breakfast to get my day started. The variety of flavors helps keep it interesting so I don’t get bored.
You might be surprised, but I don’t drink coffee. So adding collagen to my diet isn’t as easy as just adding it to my coffee in the morning. Collagen shots make it easy for me to have my dose or two of collagen without having to make a smoothie or find something else to add it to.
Bonus – my husband is even taking one every day, which he usually isn’t a fan of these kinds of things. I love how Vital Proteins makes it so easy to get in a daily dose of collagen!
Are collagen shots right for me?
As always, this is a personal preference. I think collagen is a great addition to any diet and think everyone can benefit from taking it. Whether that is in powder form or from the shots, it is up to personal preference. I think the shots are a great way to change up your typical collagen consumption and to get in some additional functional vitamins and minerals depending on what you are looking for.
The only one negative I have about them is they are a bit expensive. It is $4.99 for one shot, which can add up pretty quickly. That is the price you pay for a convenience item though!
Overall, the collagen shots taste great, are portable, and make an easy addition to your everyday life.
This post may contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!