A full ButcherBox Review! Everything you need to know from what it is, how it works, the cost, if it is worth it, how I like it, and a promo code to try them out!
This post is not sponsored by ButcherBox. We’ve been using the service for a few years and this is my honest review of it. Check out the video for a full review too!
I’ve been using ButcherBox for a few years now and always get questions about it when I share on Instagram so I figured I would write a review!
Over the years I’ve become more selective about the food I am putting into my body and my family’s body. I was also a vegetarian for 5 years and having good quality meat is one of my top priorities. There are many benefits to choosing high-quality meat, not only nutrient density-wise but also for the quality of life of cows and for the environment.
And the taste!! I promise with high-quality meat, whether it’s grass-fed beef, pasture-raised chicken, or humanely-raised pork (all of which you can get from ButcherBox), you can taste the difference!
I am also busy and as much as I enjoy browsing the aisles at the grocery store, I just don’t have the time anymore.
That is where ButcherBox comes in! It’s high-quality meat and seafood delivered right to my door. Our freezer is always full and I never have to think twice about the quality of the meat I’m eating.
Let’s get into what it is and how it works.
ButcherBox coupon code
Before we get into the ButcherBox review, if you are interested in trying them out, they are running a great deal! Sign up and get FREE ground beef for a year (2 pounds of ground beef in every box for free)!!
What is ButcherBox?
ButcherBox is a meat delivery subscription service that delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, heritage breed pork, and wild-caught seafood directly to your door. All of their meat is humanely raised and never given added hormones or antibiotics.
Boxes can range from 8 to 26 pounds of meat and you can either create your own or have them curate a box for you. Deliveries can be shipped every 2, 4, 6, or 8 weeks allowing you to control how much you want and the frequency.
One of the great things about ButcherBox is the member perks! They will run specials all the time for deals on certain cuts of meat, bundles of meat, or bring in special cuts. You will be notified by email of the specials. Or when you get an email that your next box is coming, log into the site and check out the deals to add any you like.
I recently bought 3 pounds of chicken breasts for $16, 10 pounds of ground beef or ground sirloin for $50, and 6 pounds of salmon for $67. It’s a great way to try something new or stock up and save some money on your favorite cuts!
How does ButcherBox work?
Choose the plan you want:
- Mixed Box – $146 or $269 per month – 8-11 pounds or 16-22 pounds of curated meats. The contents will be a surprise when you receive your shipment.
- Custom Box – $169 or $306 per month – pick what you want! A custom box comes with 9-14 pounds or 18-26 pounds of your choice of meat or seafood.
- Beef & Chicken Box – $146 or $269 per month – 8-11 pounds or 16-22 pounds of curated meat with 100% grass-fed beef and free-range organic chicken.
- Beef & Pork Box – $146 or $269 per month – 8-11 pounds or 16-22 pounds of curated meat with 100% grass-fed beef and heritage breed pork.
- All Beef Box – $146 or $269 per month – 8-11 pounds or 16-22 pounds of curated meat with 100% grass-fed beef.
Then, choose if you want delivery every 2, 4, 6, or 8 weeks.
Enter your shipping and billing information. All orders ship for free!
Be on the lookout for your delivery.
You will get a notification when your box ships, tracking information, and when it arrives at your house.
They ship the meat with a certain amount of dry ice depending on where you live and the weather conditions. The contents will arrive frozen, but you should put them in the freezer the same day you receive them.
Finally, start cooking!
Load up your freezer with your meat and defrost as you are ready to eat! Some of my favorite things to make with ButcherBox are my beef taco casserole, air fryer pork chops, and jalapeño popper chicken casserole.
It’s really that simple. Once you place your order, they will ship every 2-8 weeks, depending on what you pick. If you choose a custom box, then you will get an email notification a few days before your next subscription that will say ‘Your next ButcherBox is coming soon’. Make sure to log into your account so you can pick your cuts of meat before your next shipment goes out.
Where does the meat come from?
Different cuts of meat come from different places. According to ButcherBox’s website, most of their beef is sourced from Australia where they’ve built an entire system for certifying pasture-raised meat. They have very high animal welfare standards as well as the climate and pastureland to allow cattle to spend their entire lives grazing.
Their sustainably harvested wild-caught salmon is from Bristol Bay, Alaska. The sea scallops are caught in the waters of Georges Bank in New Bedford, Massachusetts, and are traceable using the technology of Legit Fish.
The lobster is wild-caught by independent harvesters in the cold, clean waters of the North Atlantic and they partner with a family-run business off the coast of Maine. Their wild-caught and sustainably harvested cod and halibut are caught in the waters of the Gulf of Alaska and the Bering Sea.
I could not find where their pork and chicken are sourced from on their site.
Pausing, skipping, or canceling your membership
If for some reason you need to pause your account, it is really easy. We have done this a few times and did it the past two summers when we drove to the east coast to be with our family for a couple of months.
Simply log into your account and select pause. You can select the amount of time you would like to pause it. Your subscriptions will resume as scheduled once the time period you selected has passed. If needed, you can add more time if you like.
You can also do the same by skipping a month.
If you decide the service is no longer for you or you don’t like it anymore, canceling is simple. Just log into your account and cancel before your next box renews.
How much does ButcherBox cost?
Depending on what box you order, ButcherBox has a few pricing options:
- $146 for a classic curated box (8-11 pounds of meat)
- $269 for a big curated box (16-22 pounds of meat)
- $169 for a classic custom box (9-14 pounds of meat)
- $306 for a big custom box (18-26 pounds of meat)
This breaks it down to $5.27 or $5.79 per meal. For the high-quality meat you are getting, I find those prices to be cheaper or about the same from a local store (depending on where you shop).
You can use this link to get FREE ground beef for a year in your meat delivery subscription box, which will make the price per meal a little cheaper.
Is ButcherBox meat good?
We are very happy with the meat we get from ButcherBox. We have our favorites, but never have anything that we absolutely didn’t like. Here is what I think of each:
- chicken – we love the chicken breast and chicken thighs (we do boneless and skinless). The meat has great flavor and when it’s cooked up, the texture is good. Sometimes I find the texture of chicken can get weird when cooked.
- pork – SO GOOD! We love the pork chops, breakfast sausage, ground pork, and pork tenderloin. The flavor is awesome and some of the best pork we’ve had. The bacon is also delicious!
- beef – we enjoy the ground beef and ground sirloin the most. To be honest, the steaks are good, but some of the cuts aren’t our favorite. I would much rather get a fresh steak when having steak.
- salmon – we love the salmon! I love the individual portions of it for a quick weeknight meal.
- scallops – scallops will never be my favorite option for seafood, but these are good (especially with their bacon!) and I love that you can see exactly where they are caught.
- shrimp – a new addition to their offerings and we love them! Tastes delicious and already peeled and deveined which is so nice.
All of the meat, bacon, and seafood are Whole30 compliant as well!
They have also been expanding their selection and now have a lot of precooked meats for even more convenience. You will find everything from pulled pork, brisket, ribs, breaded chicken tenders, and even smoked salmon.
Meat delivery services comparison
I have not tried any other meat delivery services consistently, but here is what I found online:
- Moink Box – this is a subscription service is similar to ButcherBox with an emphasis on high-quality meat. It looks like they have grass-fed and finished beef and lamb, humanely-raised pork and chicken, and wild-caught salmon. They have a few different options for box sizes and price points. I personally have not tried this service, but it looks similar. The one thing I saw on their website is that inventory changes and you might not get what you order. That is probably not a deal-breaker, but you would have to try it yourself to see how you like it!
- Omaha Steaks – this service delivers steaks, chicken, pork, seafood, appetizers, sides, desserts, and wine. I do not think it is a subscription service. We were gifted a box of meat from them a few years back and I found it to be just okay. While the flavor wasn’t anything to write home about, the quality of the meat is not as high. According to its website, its beef is grain-fed, which is not a natural diet for a cow. It is American beef, which is nice. Their service is about the same price or more. High-quality meat is important to me and Omaha Steaks is a service I would not personally use or recommend.
Is ButcherBox worth it?
I think ButcherBox is a great service and worth it if you care about high-quality meat and have a busy life. Here are some pros and cons I have with the service:
- High-quality meat and seafood. They source from partners who share their high standards for quality. It’s 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef, free-range organic chicken, humanely-raised pork, and wild-caught seafood with no added hormones or antibiotics. And I love that I don’t have to think twice about it.
- Delivered right to your door. You simply cannot beat the convenience of groceries delivered right to your door, especially high-quality meat. It makes our life so easy to know when the delivery is coming and then have a stocked freezer for easy weeknight meals.
- It’s delicious! We have our favorites (we love the chicken, pork, ground beef, salmon, and shrimp the most), but most of the cuts of meat we have had from them are great!
- A good price. Depending on where you live, you might be able to find better prices on some cuts of meat. I know I can find good deals for grass-fed beef at Sprouts from time to time. But it’s hard for me to find better deals on chicken, pork, or seafood. You may be able to find the same quality meat for the same or better price than ButcherBox offers it. At our local farmer’s market, free-range chicken is $12/pound, which is more expensive. You are also paying for the fact that you don’t have to leave your house!
- Member specials! One of the cool things ButcherBox does is member specials. They will run specials on cuts very often that you can add to your next box. It’s a great way to save some money!
- For life deals. In addition to member specials, they also run ‘for life’ deals. These are great times to sign up, but if you already are a member, you can add them on for a one-time payment and get them in every box. For example, right now we have ground beef for life (the promo when we signed up) and added bacon for life and chicken wings for life. After a box or two, it pays for itself, and then it’s just bonus meat for free!
- Freezer space needed. Since you get a decent amount of meat at once, you need to have room in your freezer or have a deep freeze. We have a deep freeze so it’s no issue, but would have to be selective of other frozen items we buy if we didn’t.
- Not all meat is local. One thing I’ve been trying to focus on lately is supporting local. We have a CSA and I try to get things from the farmer’s market. I wish ButcherBox included some local meat to support the local economy.
- You might need more meat (depending on how much you eat). My husband and I eat A LOT of food. While we don’t eat meat at every meal, we eat a decent amount at dinner. We currently do the custom classic box and will usually have to supplement throughout the month here and there depending on how much I add on with member specials. We could do the big box, but being a recipe developer, I oftentimes need different cuts of meat for recipes.
- You might be able to find it cheaper. Depending on where you live, you could find some cuts of meat cheaper or on sale every so often. I find that I do not have the time to be searching for all the sales every week, but for someone on a tighter budget, you might be able to.
In conclusion, I think ButcherBox is a great service and worth the money! While it’s not the only meat we eat, we love the quality of the meat and its convenience. I can always count on it and have options in our freezer for healthy dinners during the week. However, if you are on a tight budget and don’t care about the quality of your meat, it might not be the right service for you.
If you are interested in trying them, make sure to use this link for their current deal – FREE ground beef for a year (2 pounds of ground beef in every box for free)!!
Leave a Rating & Comment