An easy weekday meal, these Turkey & Kale Spaghetti Squash Boats pack veggies, healthy carbs and fats, and lots of protein for a satisfying and well balanced dinner.
Welcome back to real life! Hope everyone had a delicious, fun, relaxing, and refreshing holiday weekend! If you don’t celebrate thanksgiving, then I hope you just had a great weekend in general. It might of been hard getting back into the swing of things, but hopefully you got to recharge some.
Our thanksgiving was so fun this year! We headed over to our friends house to have a friendsgiving with a few other people. Everyone brought a few different things to contribute to dinner and it was all so good. Total props to my friends Becca and Phil on the turkey. It was perfectly cooked and so juicy, probably the best I have ever had. Sorry mom if you are reading this, but it’s the truth! I brought my homemade cranberry sauce, paleo stuffing, pumpkin hummus, and roasted asparagus. There was also green bean casserole, corn casserole, a cheese board, gravy, pumpkin pie, strawberry shortcake (it was someone’s bday), and probably other things I am forgetting. It was a feast for sure.
Now that thanksgiving is over, it’s time to get back into our normal eating and fitness routines. With Christmas coming up fast there isn’t a need to forget all those healthy habits we have picked up throughout the years. That is where this turkey & kale spaghetti squash boats come in.
We have made these a few times and ate them up so I figured it was time to put them on the blog. The spaghetti squash is stuffed with turkey to add a big boost of lean protein to this dish. Also in the mix is kale and mushrooms to add some greens and fiber. The icing on the
cake err boat is some goat cheese! Totally optional, but it adds a nice creaminess to the dish and some healthy fats to keep you full longer.
We topped our offs with some fresh chopped parsley, green onion, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice. Depending on the size of your spaghetti squash, it can be pretty low carb so feel free to pair this meal with some roasted sweet potatoes or more veggies. At this time of year, you can’t overdo the veggies 🙂
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, cut in half and deseeded (about 900g without seeds)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ pound lean ground turkey (I used 99% lean)
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped (70 grams)
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced (100 grams)
- 2 cups packed kale, chopped (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: red pepper flakes, chopped green onions, lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle the flesh of the spaghetti squash with salt and pepper. Place flesh side down on baking sheet and roast for 30-35 minutes until skin gives a little when touched.
- While the spaghetti squash cooks, make the turkey mixture. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and let it get hot, about 30 seconds. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add ground turkey and break it up with the back of a large spoon. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, kale, spices, and salt and pepper. Cook until kale is wilted and turkey is browned and no pink remains. Remove from heat.
- When spaghetti squash is done, remove from oven and thread flesh with a fork to make spaghetti. Be careful not to break the skin of the squash. Add spaghetti squash to turkey mixture along with goat cheese and mix to combine. Distribute mixture evenly back into the squash skins. Place boats back in the oven for 5 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Top with chopped parsley and optional toppings. Enjoy!
How was your thanksgiving?
Are you happy to be back on your normal eating and working out routine?