A healthy alternative to standard chicken fingers, these Pistachio Coconut Baked Chicken Tenders have only a handful of ingredients making them gluten free, paleo, and Whole30 approved!
Ahh a recipe that makes you feel like a kid again. There is something about chicken tenders (aka fingers in my world) that make you feel young again. I am pretty sure they were a staple in most children’s diets. Not sure if kids really love fried chicken or the fact that you can eat it with you hands. I’m all about eating with your hands if it’s possible. Chicken tenders, pizza, sandwiches, burgers, fries…all the good stuff is meant to be eaten with our hands.
Since no one really knows what goes into the breading of most chicken tenders, I decided to make a healthier version of one. These pistachio coconut baked chicken tenders are made with 4 basic ingredients, a few spices, and then baked. The breading of the egg and coconut flour help them come out really crispy without any frying needed. The kids won’t ever be able to tell.
And what’s a chicken tender without a good dipping sauce. I paired mine with my roasted jalapeño honey mustard since it’s the bomb, but they can really go with anything. If you are on the Whole30, a complaint ketchup or spicy mayo would be amazing. I’m thinking these are perfect for some football watching on Sunday. Or meal prep as they save great in the fridge. I’ll be tossing them on a salad for easy weekday lunches. If you have any other ideas you have for some game day food let me know!
On a different note, we are watching our friends dog this weekend. We have watched her before and she is pretty chill most of the time. Except when she wakes you up at 6am on Sunday and won’t go back to bed. I am already planning on taking her to the farmers market this weekend and maybe to the pet store up the street. Michael and I have been talking about getting a dog for awhile, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. It is such a big commitment! I can barely decide what my favorite food is let alone decide on a puppy.
If you make this recipe or anything from Eat the Gains, make sure to post it and tag me so I can see all of your creations!!
#eatthegains and @eatthegains on Instagram!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the shelled pistachios to a Vitamix, high powered blender, or food processor. Pulse until nuts are coarsely ground, but still a little texture remains, about 30 seconds.
- Set up an assembly line. Mix together the ground pistachios, coconut, ginger, and salt and pepper and place on a plate. Have the coconut flour on a separate plate and the beaten eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Bread the chicken by putting it in the coconut flour. Roll round until fully covered. Then dip it in the egg mixture, fully coating. Last, roll in the pistachio mixture, fully coating. Place on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Serve with honey mustard or sauce of choice.
Did you love chicken fingers when you were younger? Do you have a dog?
Pin for later!
This post may contains affiliate links and I may make little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!