An easy dump and set meal, this Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup has all the main ingredients for chicken fajitas in a delicious, comforting, and healthy soup.
The weather has been crazy here lately. It has just rained for the past 3-4 days and has been pretty cold. The other weekend it was in the 40s. And then tomorrow it is supposed to get back up to the mid-70s again. Texas just can’t make up it’s mind.
I’m not a fan of the cold weather, but I do love a great soup. I think that might be the best thing about winter is soups. They are just so fulling and you get that warm feeling from the inside. Since soup is usually a lot of water, I try to get in some hearty ingredients to make sure you aren’t hungry an hour later. This one is packed with protein, carbs, and fiber to keep you full. Add some healthy fats like avocado on top and you are set!
This slower cooker chicken fajita soup is really a dump and set type of meal, which is my go to as of lately. Life has been so busy and this is the kind of meals we have been eating. I added all the ingredients that you would usually find in your typical fajitas, threw them in the slower cooker, and then let it do its thing. Well with the exception of kale. You don’t usually find that on your fajitas, but I had to have something green in there. The best part is really the toppings. You can do tortilla chips, cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, sour cream or greek yogurt, cheese, hot sauce (my fav!), lime, red pepper flakes…the possibilities are endless!
On a side note, I just found out that a crockpot is technically called a slow cooker. Crockpot is actually the branded name. So unless you actually have the brand ‘Crockpot’, you just have a slow cooker. I have always used the term crockpot (aka this pumpkin soup), but since I have a Cuisinart one, slow cooker it is.
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed
- ½ yellow onion, chopped (175 grams)
- 2 peppers, chopped (370 grams)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- 1 cup white or brown rice (not cooked)
- 1½ cup black beans
- 5 cups packed kale, roughly chopped
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: tortilla chips, avocado/guacamole, cilantro, diced tomatoes, greek yogurt/sour cream, cheese, lime juice, red pepper flakes, hot sauce...
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker in the order listed. You might have to push down the kale some. Place on low for 6-8 hour or high for 3-4 hours. Stir occasionally if you can (not necessary though).
- Once finished, stir to make sure everything in mixed well. Serve and top with optional toppings if desired. Enjoy!
How has the weather been where you live?
Are you living off crockpot meals like us?
If you make this recipe or anything from Eat the Gains, make sure to post it and tag me so I can see all of your creations!!
#eatthegains @eatthegains on Instagram