Roasted butternut squash combined with goat cheese, pomegranates, and rosemary make this simple gluten free and vegetarian dish a star at your holiday gatherings.
This recipe screams holiday and fall. I don’t want to brag, but it is so, so good. Maybe one of the best things I have ever made. That’s a bold statement, but I just love it.
I’ve made it twice already before actually getting around to photographing it. The first time just testing it out. My boyfriend wasn’t home for dinner and I barely saved him any because I couldn’t stop eating it. When he came home he was like you didn’t save me any?! Whoops. Then I made it for a little dinner party a few weekends ago and everybody loved it. It is nice to have some others try dishes I make for the blog instead of just me or the bf.
The best thing is that it is super easy to make. You probably already have most of the ingredients in your pantry, but might have to pickup fresh rosemary or a pomegranate. While the butternut squash is roasting you make the dressing and that is pretty much it. You might have to take the arils out of the pomegranate, but that shouldn’t take long. You can also just buy the arils in most grocery stores if you don’t feel like going through getting pomegranate juice all over you. It is bound to happen. You can also buy precut butternut squash. Both of those will save you a solid 15 minutes.
I also just looked up what those seed things are called. Thank you google.
Anyways, if you want to have a happy holidays you should make this recipe. Just kidding….But I know I will for sure be making it on Christmas.
- 8 cups peeled and diced butternut squash (1 medium/1140 grams peeled and diced)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup pomegranate arils
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (56 grams)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1½ teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats.
- Toss the butternut squash with the coconut oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Place on the baking sheets and bake for 30-35 minutes or until fork tender, stirring once around 20 minutes.
- While the squash bakes, make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together.
- Once squash is done, transfer to a baking dish or serving bowl. Stir in the dressing until combined. Add pomegranates and goat cheese and mix carefully.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
What dishes are you going to be making for the holidays? Let me know so I can try some!