Chicken Asparagus Mushroom Skillet comes together in one pan and in 25 minutes. Tossed with a creamy lemon garlic sauce that is to die for and loaded with protein, veggies, and healthy fats! Gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, and Whole30 approved.
Skillet recipes are my jam! Especially when they are quick and easy to make. And that is exactly what we are serving up today with this recipe.
Why we love this lemon asparagus chicken skillet:
- comes together in about 25 minutes – you do need to do a little prep ahead of time, but it’s not much
- made in one pan (plus a blender) – yay for not a lot of dishes to clean up
- all you need is 10 simple ingredients
- it’s full of protein and veggies!
- everything is tossed in a delicious lemon garlic sauce – sauce makes everything better and this sauce is seriously SO GOOD. Like lick my plate clean good.
The beauty of this dish is it is super customizable too. If you don’t have asparagus or mushrooms on hand, substitute it for another. And when in doubt, you can always add more veggies (brocccoli would be so good)!
You could also use another protein choice (chicken thighs, ground turkey, shrimp…).
Chicken asparagus mushroom recipe
This healthy lemon asparagus chicken is full of flavor. It couldn’t be easier to make and the ingredients used are pantry staples that you probably have on hand as well. It’s perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or meal prep.
Chicken asparagus mushroom skillet ingredients:
- olive oil
- chicken breast
- salt and pepper, to taste
First, heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat with a tablespoon of oil. Add chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally, until browned on the outside. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Next, add the asparagus to the pan and sauté for another 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the mushrooms and sauté for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. If needed, add a splash of broth or water to the pan to help deglaze the pan and get up the brown bits.
Turn down heat to low. Add the chicken back into the pan along with the lemon garlic sauce (more on that below!). Be mindful of adding the chicken juices or not. If adding, it will thin out the sauce some.
Mix until well incorporated and warmed through, about 1-2 minutes. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Creamy lemon garlic sauce
This healthy chicken skillet recipe comes together thanks to the most amazing lemon garlic sauce. It’s honestly the best part of the recipe and it’s so good, I could drink it! It’s the perfect accompaniment to the chicken and veggies and adds a little tartness to the dish.
Lemon garlic sauce ingredients:
- roasted garlic (see below on how to make roasted garlic)
- full fat coconut milk
- lemon juice
- cashews, soaked in water and then drained
- pinch of salt and pepper
To make the sauce, simply add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
How to roast garlic
To roast garlic, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. First, peel the outer layers of the garlic skin off leaving the cloves still attached and chop off the top of the bulb.
Then place in aluminum foil and drizzle 1/2 teaspoon olive oil over the exposed surface of the garlic, letting the oil sink down into the cloves. Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil and roast in the oven for 35-45 minutes until caramelized.
To save time, roast your garlic ahead of time (which is what I always do). I even make mine a few days ahead of time and just left it tightly wrapped in the tinfoil in the fridge. That way once you want to make the dish all you need to do is make the sauce and sauté the meat and veggies.
What to serve with chicken asparagus mushroom skillet
This chicken skillet recipe can be eaten as is or served with some sides. The sauce is so good too, I love having something to soak it up! Since it is a little bit lower carb, here are some suggestions to serve alongside it:
- white rice or cauliflower rice
- roasted white or sweet potatoes
- quinoa or another grain
- over pasta – I would double the sauce if so!
- with a salad
More healthy skillet recipes
- Maple Mustard Chicken Skillet
- Steak and Sweet Potato Skillet
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Healthy Chicken Pad Thai (Paleo)
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
Lemon Garlic Chicken Asparagus Mushroom Skillet
Chicken Asparagus Mushroom
Lemon Garlic Sauce
- 2 heads roasted garlic*
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained** (I like to use whole cashews)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the sauce. Add all ingredients for the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat with a tablespoon of oil and let it get hot. Add chicken and salt and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally, until browned on the outside. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the asparagus to the pan and sauté for another 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and a little more salt and pepper and sauté for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. If needed, add a splash of broth or water to the pan to help deglaze the pan and get up the brown bits.
- Turn down heat to low. Add the chicken back into the pan along with the sauce. Be mindful of adding the chicken juices or not. If adding, it will thin out the sauce some. Mix until well incorporated and warmed through, about 1-2 minutes. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Recipe by Kelly Nardo, Eat the Gains | Photography by The Mindful Hapa
This post may contain affiliate links and I may make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!