Protein and veggie packed Chicken Cabbage Salad is the prefect meal prep dish that will last you all week, & is paleo, gluten free, dairy free, & Whole30 compliant!
This recipe was inspired by a trip with AFBA a couple months ago. Every month we get together for a happy hour at a different restaurant around Austin and try out some of their best dishes. I can’t always make the happy hours as sometimes I am coaching CrossFit, but when I can it is always fun to be at a restaurant with a bunch of food bloggers. Everyone waits to eat so everybody can get a good pic and no one is judging you for wanting to get a picture. It must be pretty funny to watch us all though.
This trip brought us to Pho-natic. We actually didn’t try any of their pho, but a lot of other Vietnamese dishes. The one that I loved the most was their chicken and cabbage salad. It was full of veggies, chicken, crispy shallots, fresh basil, and a delicious sauce. It was so simple yet so tasty, and is pretty good for you as well!
After thinking about that salad for about a week after having it, I decided to recreate it. I based my dish off theirs while changing it up a little too. I took out the fried shallots and added a quick pickled onion instead. I also added some cashews for some more crunch and healthy fats. Those easy swaps make this chicken cabbage salad paleo and Whole3o approved!
This recipe makes a huge batch too. Like filled to the top of the biggest bowl I have huge. I was eating it for days. It is perfect to make on Sunday and then have it for lunch or dinner throughout the week. It pairs really well with rice (cauliflower or regular white), or you could load it in a baked sweet potato. Heck, you can even throw a fried egg on it for breakfast!
- 2 pounds skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅓ head of a large green cabbage, thinly sliced (600 grams)
- 2 red bell peppers, julienne (375 grams)
- 2 large carrots, shredded (220 grams)
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced (100 grams)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons sriracha or hot sauce (check labels for ingredients)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the pickled onions. In a jar add apple cider vinegar, water, 1 teaspoon salt, and onions. Shake well and set aside.
- While the onions marinate, make the chicken. Mix garlic, ginger, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub evenly over chicken. Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add coconut oil and let it get hot, about 30 seconds. Cook chicken breast until cooked through and no pink remains, about 20 minutes. Once it is done, remove from heat and let cool. Shred with either a fork or pull apart with your hands.
- Make the dressing. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cabbage, peppers, carrots, snap peas, pickled onions, chicken, and dressing. Stir to combine. Add cashews and fresh basil and stir once more.
- Keep in fridge in a covered glass container for up to week. Enjoy!
Have you made any recipes at home inspired by ones that you have gotten at a restaurant?