Taking the flavors of fall and blending them together to make this Pumpkin Acai Bowl that is perfect for a warm fall day!
Fall is in full swing in Austin. That means chilly mornings and nights. Perfect for sweatpants, soups, snuggling, and baking. I really want to go apple picking, but I don’t think there is any place around here, which is a bummer. Austin needs to get with the program of fall activities.
Even though the weather is cooler in the morning, I am just not ready for oatmeal yet. This is where this bowl comes in. It has all the flavors of fall, in acai bowl form. If you are not familiar with acai (pronounced ah-sah-ee), it is a berry native to Central and South America and considered a superfood. It packs antioxidants, B vitamins, fiber, minerals, and phytosterols, which help reduce blood plasma cholesterol. Acai is also antiviral, anti fungal, and anticancer – they trigger a self destruct response in up to 86% of tested leukemia cells. You can buy frozen packs from the grocery store, mix it with your favorite fruits and veggies and make either a bowl or smoothie out of it.
I first had an acai bowl in Hawaii and fell in love. I now even work at a cafe that sells them, which is where I got the inspiration for this recipe. I mean how can you not love a thick delicious smoothie bowl topped with more delicious food.
This pumpkin acai bowl has pumpkin, apple, banana, and almond butter to make up the blend. Cinnamon helps bring all the flavors together. Feel free to just eat it as it, or top it with some of your favorite fruits, nuts, or superfoods. I choose chopped apple, pomegranate, cacao nibs, and coconut flakes. I also added some more pumpkin on top, but it is not necessary. If you don’t have time to eat it as a bowl, add some liquid to the mix and make it a smoothie.
Pumpkin Acai Bowl
- 1/3 cup 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1/2 banana frozen (50 grams)
- 1/2 cup diced apple (65 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pack pure unsweetened acai berry superfood (100 grams)
- Protein booster: add a scoop of your favorite protein powder to the mix before blending
- Optional toppings: diced apple, banana, pomegranate, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, chia seeds, hemp seeds, granola, cinnamon...
- Optional: for a smoothie add 1 cup of liquid of your choice.
- Place ingredients in an high powered blender in the order listed (I used a Vitamix).
- Blend until thoroughly combined and texture is similar to a very thick smoothie.
- Place in a bowl and top with some of your favorite toppings.
Have you had an acai bowl before?