A full Pet Plate review! Everything you need to know from what it is, how it works, the cost, is it worth it, how I like it, and a promo code to try them out!
This post is not sponsored by Pet Plate. We’ve been using the service for our dog for over two years and this is my honest review of it.
Cashew is our baby. We have no kids and he is my world. He is also my first dog and there came so many questions as to what to feed him to give him a healthy and long life. Since I care about what I put into my body and focus on a nutrient-dense high-quality diet, why would it be any different for our dog?
That is where Pet Plate comes in! It’s a 100% human-grade fresh dog food delivery service. Cashew absolutely loves it and does so well with it! And I feel great feeding him high-quality food for his active life.
Let’s get into what it is and how it works.
Pet Plate coupon code
Before we get into the Pet Plate review, if you are interested in trying them out, they are running a great deal! Get 30% off your first order + 60% off a bag of treats!
What is Pet Plate?
Pet Plate is a fresh dog food delivery subscription service that delivers 100% real human-grade ingredients dog food to your door. Their food is formulated by a board-certified veterinary nutritionist and is made with USDA-meats, fresh fruits and veggies, and zero by-products, preservatives, or artificial ingredients.
Pet Plate provides four different flavors to choose from:
- barkin’ beef – a combo of beef, apples, beef liver, carrots, potatoes, and pumpkin
- tail waggin’ turkey – a combo of turkey, apples, rice, carrots, turkey liver, and pumpkin
- lip lickin’ lamb – a combo of lamb, apples, broccoli, lamb liver, quinoa, and sweet potatoes
- chompin’ chicken – a combo of chicken, sweet potatoes, apples, lentils, flaxseed, and green beans
We get all four flavors for our pup to keep it interesting and making sure he is getting a diverse diet. Each food also has a custom supplement and mineral blend to ensure a well-balanced diet. The food comes in pre-cooked and pre-portioned containers, making it easy to at mealtime.
How does Pet Plate work?
Pet Plate makes it really easy to get started and figure out how much food is best for your dog.
First, follow these steps:
- Go to petplate.com and click get started
- Follow the prompts on the screen – enter your dog’s name, their gender and if they were spayed/neutered, the breed if you know it (you can select more than one), their birthday/rough guess, their weight, activity level, waistline, and what recipes you would like to try.
- Finally, enter your email address.
Next, see your recommendations!
Pet Plate will provide about how many calories your dog will need a day and the recommended food and delivery schedule if feeding your pup exclusively Pet Plate. They will also recommend a topper plan as well.
Then create an account and enter your shipping and billing information. All orders ship for free!
Be on the lookout for your delivery.
They ship the food with dry ice. The contents will arrive frozen, but you should put them in the freezer the same day you receive them. We have actually left them in the box until the next day and they stay frozen, but it’s best to freeze right away.
Finally, let your pup enjoy!
Do you have to have a subscription?
Yes, Pet Plate is a subscription-only service. The food will be delivered depending on your pup’s needs. It renews automatically unless you go into your account and make changes before the next delivery.
Pausing, skipping, or canceling your membership
If for some reason you need to pause your account, it is really easy. We have done this a few times when Cashew’s eating habits changed as he continues to grow.
Simply log into your account and select pause under your subscription. When you are ready for your next shipment, log into your account again and unpause.
If you decide the service is no longer for you or you don’t like it anymore, canceling is simple. Just log into your account and cancel before your next delivery renews.
According to their site, if you need to make any changes to your account, make sure to make changes the Thursday before your order ships (the week before you receive the shipment).
It is also very easy to update your address if you need to. We traveled back east for 2 months last summer and just updated the address in our account to send to where we were staying. It was delivered without any issues.
How long does Pet Plate stay fresh?
Since the food is fresh, it must be kept in the refrigerator or freezer. Once you defrost the food, it can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days.
When we get our delivery, we let about 10-14 defrost and place the rest in our deep freezer. Once we are running low on our stock in the fridge, we will defrost more. Cashew eats 3-4 small containers a day (12 ounces each), so we go through them quickly.
How much does Pet Plate cost?
Pet Plate cost varies on your dog.
Pet Plate’s full meal plans start at $2.50/day and include free shipping. Since all dogs are different, the exact price will depend on a variety of factors including age, weight, activity, and more. To determine your exact costs, fill out your pup’s profile!
For us, we pay $90-120 per week. Cashew is 2 1/2 years old, 70 pounds, and very active. He gets one long walk in the morning (45-60 minutes), usually another walk in the evening (not as long), and lots of playtime.
He will eat 3-4 12-ounce containers a day depending on his hunger. We will adjust the upcoming week if we need to add more food.
They also have meal toppers if you don’t want to commit to a full plan.
Pet Plate treats
Pet Plate recently came out with treats you can add to your order!
The ingredients are organic chicken, organic apples, organic vegetables glycerin, organic pumpkin, organic vinegar powder, and organic rosemary extract.
Cashew loves them and we add them on every once in a while (we rotate his treats to keep it interesting). I love making homemade treats for him too – he goes NUTS over these 3-ingredient peanut butter banana ones.
Is Pet Plate worth it?
I think Pet Plate is a great service and we absolutely love it for Cashew. Our dog is our son, and since I am particular about what I am putting in my mouth, I should care the same about what I am feeding our dog. Here are some pros and cons I have with the service:
- High-quality fresh dog food. You really can’t beat the quality of the food. It’s 100% real human-grade ingredients made with USDA-meats, fresh fruits and veggies, and zero by-products, preservatives, or artificial ingredients.
- Nutritionally balanced. All the recipes are designed by their veterinary nutritionist, so they contain all the vitamins and minerals your pup needs.
- Delivered right to your door. You simply cannot beat the convenience of it delivered right to your door. It makes our life so easy knowing we never have to worry about running out.
- It’s delicious! Not that we have tried it (although, it is human-grade ha!), but Cashew absolutely goes crazy for it.
- Amazing digestion. Our dog Cashew has the best digestion thanks to Pet Plate. He never has any issues, his poops are great (solid, well-formed, and don’t stink that bad), and he barely ever farts. This is a huge sign that his body does well with the food.
- Treats! You can now add on their chicken apple sausage bites to an order.
- Freezer space needed. Depending on the size of your dog, you might get a decent amount of food at once, and you need to have room in your freezer or have a deep freeze. We have a deep freeze so it’s no issue, but would have to be selective of other frozen items we buy if not.
- A lot of packaging and plastic. Since Cashew is 70#, our delivery comes every week. That means a lot of packaging and a lot of plastic containers. While the packaging is recyclable, I don’t love the plastic it comes in, but I’m not sure what the other options would be.
- More expensive than other dog foods. While I think the price is absolutely worth it for our dog, it is more expensive than your packaged dry food. But you are paying for the high-quality ingredients and delivery service.
In conclusion, I think Pet Plate is a great service and worth the money! We love the quality of the food and the convenience of the service. Most importantly, our dog does so well with it and absolutely loves it. However, if you are on a tight budget, it might not be the right service for you.
If you are interested in trying them, make sure to use this link for their current deal – 30% off + 60% off a bag of treats!
Homemade dog treats
This post may contain affiliate links and I may make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products through the links. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. The compensation helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I truly appreciate your support!