Sausage, Pepper, & Rice Soup (Paleo/Whole30)
A 20 minute meal full of flavor, this Sausage, Pepper, & Rice Soup uses cauliflower rice for a healthy, low carb, and comforting meal that is paleo & Whole30 approved.
Servings 8 cups
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 cup chopped onion (120 grams)
- 4 link precooked sausage, sliced (I used Aidell's Chicken Sausage)*
- 2 large bell pepper, diced (2 cups/360 grams)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 cups broth
- 4 cup packed kale, roughly chopped (120 grams)
- 2 cups cauliflower rice (250 grams)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: fresh parsley, green onion, avocado....
In a large pot over medium heat, add ghee and let it melt, about 30 seconds. Add onions and salt and pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened.
Push onions to the side and add chicken sausage and sauté for 5-6 minutes until browned on both sides. If needed, add a splash of broth to make sure they don't stick.
Add peppers, garlic, and salt and pepper and sauté for 2 more minutes. Sit-in tomato paste. Add kale, cauliflower rice, broth, and spices, cover with a lid, and cook for 5-7 for minutes until cooked to your preference. Stir in lemon juice and salt and pepper if needed. Top with optional toppings and enjoy!
*If you don't have chicken sausage, ground sausage would also be delicious. You would just need to brown it and make sure it is cooked through since chicken sausage is already precooked. I love the ground sausage from ButcherBox.
Serving: 2cups | Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Potassium: 426mg | Fiber: 6.4g | Sugar: 13.1g | Vitamin A: 7400IU | Vitamin C: 254.9mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 2.6mg