Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes make a tasty appetizer, hearty dinner, or perfect game day meal. They are easy to make (with a few meal prep options) and an absolutely delicious stuffed sweet potato recipe loaded with shredded chicken, mashed sweet potato, veggies, spicy mayo, hot sauce, and spices. Dairy-free, paleo, and Whole30 approved.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 37 ounces)
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion (65 grams)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (1 large stalk/65 grams)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (1 large/55 grams)
- 2 heaping cups shredded chicken (260 grams)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon chipotle mayo (divided) - store-bought or homemade
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon hot sauce (divided) - I used Frank's
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (sure more for spicier)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use more for spicier)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: mayo, parsley, hot sauce, green onion...
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Rinse sweet potatoes and poke holes with a knife. Place in oven on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes until soft. Time will depend on how thick your sweet potatoes are.
While the sweet potato bake, heat a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add oil and let it get hot, about 30 seconds. Add celery and onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and cook for another 5-7 minutes until softened. Pour into a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
If needed, make your mayo as well (if using homemade).
When sweet potatoes are cooked, cut them in half lengthwise & scoop out most of the inside flesh, leaving a thin layer around the outside so they can maintain their shape. Add the insides into the bowl with the celery mixture.
In the bowl, add shredded chicken, 1/4 cup mayo, 1/4 hot sauce, garlic powder, dill, paprika, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper. Mash and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Scoop mixture back into shells, distributing evenly. Mix the remaining 1 tablespoon mayo and 1 tablespoon hot sauce in a small bowl. Drizzle over the chicken mixture on sweet potatoes, dividing evenly between the potatoes.
Turn down the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20 more minutes, or until warmed through. Top with toppings of choice or eat as is. Enjoy!
Meal prep buffalo chicken sweet potatoes for a quicker assembly:
- partial prep - the shredded chicken, sweet potatoes, mayo, and veggie mixture can all be made ahead of time. You can either make all the components or just a few (I suggest at least the shredded chicken and sweet potatoes). Store in the fridge until you are ready to prep. When you are ready, slice your sweet potatoes and scoop out the insides, make the full chicken mixture, mix everything together, stuff the potatoes, and bake. They will take longer to bake since the potatoes are cold.
- full prep - just follow the directions as written and store stuffed sweet potatoes in a tightly sealed glass dish. When ready to bake, preheat the oven and bake until warmed through. Again, it will probably take longer than 20 minutes since the potatoes are cold. You can also heat them up on a grill (like at a tailgate).
Serving: 1stuffed sweet potato | Calories: 242kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 9.6g | Saturated Fat: 1.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.9g | Potassium: 646mg | Fiber: 4.4g | Sugar: 6.3g | Vitamin A: 19800IU | Vitamin C: 3.3mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1mg