Sweet Potato Sausage Hash (Paleo/Whole30)
Easy paleo and Whole30 Sweet Potato Sausage Hash is made in one pan and ready in 25 minutes! Made with ground pork, sweet potato, apples, kale, and warming spices, it's loaded with protein, carbs, and healthy fats. Perfect for a sweet and savory comforting breakfast and great for meal prep!
Servings 7 cups
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes, cubed (4 cups/570 grams)
- 1 cup diced onion (120 grams)
- 2 small apples, diced (280 grams)
- 3 cups roughly chopped kale (75 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (divided)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- oil, for frying (if needed)
- optional toppings: eggs, avocado, green onions...
Heat a large nonstick skillet or large cast iron over medium heat. Once hot, add ground pork. Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, garlic powder, and salt and pepper, stir to combine, and sauté for 5-8 minutes until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan and place in a bowl.
There should be some leftover pork grease in the pan. If not, add avocado oil and let it get hot. Add onion and sweet potato and stir to combine. Add 1/4 cup water, cover with a lid, and cook for 5-10 minutes until softened. Make sure you put the lid on as soon as you pour the water to catch the steam. The lid should be tight to help ensure faster cooking.
One sweet potatoes are soft, add kale, apple, and remaining cinnamon and ginger. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add sausage back and mix until warmed through and incorporated. Turn off heat and top with walnuts. Add optional toppings or enjoy as is!
Serving: 11/2 cups | Calories: 393kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Potassium: 776mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 354IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 11mg