Healthy Instant Pot Eggplant Parmesan
A quick 20 minute dinner, this Healthy Instant Pot Eggplant Parmesan isn't breaded or fried, only calls for 4 ingredients, and makes a delicious, comforting, and low carb meal!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 2 large eggplants (780 grams)
- 2-2 1/2 cups marinara sauce, divided*
- 1 cup water* (see notes!)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- for servings: fresh basil, red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese...
Prepare eggplant. Cut off the top and the bottom of the eggplant and stand up straight. Slice eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices. Salt eggplant slices on both sides and let sit for a few minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel to take off excess moisture and salt.
In your Instant Pot, add 1/2-1 cup of marinara sauce and spread out evenly on the bottom. Add with 1 cup of water and thoroughly mix with the sauce, spreading out evenly on the bottom.* This will also help ensure you don't get the burn notice on your Instant Pot. Cover sauce with a layer of eggplant, covering the bottom as best you can. Add 1/2 cup of sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Continue layering the eggplant, sauce, and cheese (I had 3 layers).
Close Instant Pot lid, make sure vent is set to sealed, and set to manual mode on high pressure for 10 minutes. Manually or naturally release pressure when done (pressure releases natually in about 4-5 minutes). There will be a lot of liquid in the pot - use to top eggplant or if serving with pasta. After you cut into it and remove eggplant, there isn't that much either. Cut into 4 equal pieces and top with optional toppings. Enjoy!
*you will want a more thin/runny marinara for this recipe. I suggest mixing the bottom layer of sauce with 1 cup water to help ensure it cooks evenly and you don't the the burn notice.
Troubleshooting Instant Pot Eggplant Parmesan
I have made this recipe countless times and have never had an issue with it not cooking or getting the burn notice on my Instant Pot. Unfortunately that is not the case for a lot of you. Here are some time to help:
I have also read that you can put parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, but I haven't tried.
If you are having trouble with this recipe, please watch this step by step video.
Unfortunately when I contacted Instant Pot to see if they could help, this is what they had to say. "Also, all Instant Pot are not the same and hence the results may vary depending on how some people are able to have it cooked perfect were as other's can't."
This really baffles my mind as how can you make an appliance where you can't guarantee the same results, but I guess you can.
Please see troubleshooting tips in post above if having trouble.
PLEASE NOTE - a lot of people have tried this recipe and it either works perfectly or the Instant Pot will give you a burn notice or not come up to temperature, hence not cooking the eggplant. Unfortunately, this has never happened to me during the countless times I have made it so it's hard to try to troubleshoot. I am sorry if this recipe causes you trouble, but it doesn't seem like all Instant Pots cook the same way.
- Make sure you are using enough sauce - you need to make sure you fully cover the bottom of the pan with sauce. If you don't you run the risk of burning your Instant Pot and the eggplant. You want a more watery based sauce as well. I found that a heaping 1/2 cup worked perfectly for my 8QT Instant Pot each time I tested and made this recipe. But if you feel like you need more, add more! Or mix your sauce with water.
- Make sure your sauce is watery - you want a watery/runny sauce. This ensures there is enough liquid in the pot, it will come up to temperature and cook the eggplant, and you don't get the burn notice on your Instant Pot.
- Add water to your sauce - if you sauce is not runny enough, or if you are unsure if it is, add water. Mix the sauce that goes on the bottom layer with 1 cup of water. Again, this will help so you don't get the burn notice. Please note that I have never had this issue, but it was suggested by the Instant Pot team since people have trouble with this recipe.
- Make sure there is enough liquid in the pot - follow the steps above to make sure there is enough liquid.
Serving: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1200IU | Vitamin C: 12.4mg | Calcium: 240mg | Iron: 1.1mg