Chicken Fajita Casserole
Healthy Chicken Fajita Casserole combines your favorite aspects of fajitas and packs it into a warm and comforting healthy casserole recipe. Loaded with seasoned chicken, rice, peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and melted cheese, it makes a delicious and hearty one pan meal the whole family will love!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings 10 cups
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast sliced into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (divided)
- 1 medium onion, sliced (3 cups/305 grams)
- 3 medium bell peppers, sliced (5 heaping cups/625 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups Lundberg Farms Organic California Brown Jasmine Rice
- 8 medium mushrooms, sliced (1 heaping cup/100 grams)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) diced hatch green chiles
- 1 3/4 cups broth
- 1 heaping cup shredded cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: avocado, cilantro, lime juice, greek yogurt/sour cream, hot sauce...
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large cast iron skillet (I used 12 inches) over medium heat, add oil and let it get hot, about 1 minute. Add chicken, 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, and salt and pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes until browned (chicken does not have to be cooked all the way through). Remove from pan and set aside.
Add onions, salt and pepper, and saute for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened. Add a splash of broth (you can use some from the amount you measured out) if you need to deglaze the pan and speed up the cooking process some. Add peppers and remaining taco seasoning and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
Add rice and mix well to combine and let toast for 1-2 minutes. Add in the cooked chicken, fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles, and mushrooms and mix well to combine. Add broth and carefully stir to make sure it is well incorporated. You want to make sure you have enough liquid so you can see a little on the top, but not completely covering everything. Not enough liquid and you will be left with uncooked rice. Too much and it will be too soggy and won't absorb. See pictures above for reference.
Cover with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5-10 mintues until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from oven, spinkle with cheese, and bake for another 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted. Top with optional toppings or topping of choice and enjoy!
leave off cheese for dairy free
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 264kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5g | Potassium: 255mg | Fiber: 2.3g | Sugar: 6.6g | Vitamin A: 42IU | Vitamin C: 143mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 7mg